Liuzhou Travel Answers

change location
dansweazen's Profile Photo

My friend Nan says that it is very difficult for her to travel abroad can anyone explain?

by dansweazen Online Now May 10, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I have had a pen pal and friend for over a year now. I am from Pittsburgh PA USA and she lives in Liuzhou City,China. I own a helicopter service buisness that doesn't often allow me to leave on long excursions and we were wondering how she might be able to come to visit for a few weeks during her spring festival vacation or any other time.

GuangNan hasn't traveled abroad and doesn't have a passport yet. She is 44 and single and a mechanical engineer. Can anyone tell me how I can help her to travel? Romance may be in the future but we need to become friends in person and court first.

Thank you in advance! Dan

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • qaminari's Profile Photo

Re: My friend Nan says that it is very difficult for her to travel abroad can anyone explain?

by qaminari Online Now May 10, 2010 at 12:53 PM

She has to sort out her own situation with her own authorities (Public Security Bureau), and until she does you can't even start helping her to get a visa to enter the U.S., should your help be required. Apparently there are a lot of bureaucratic hoops to jump through before a Chinese passport can be issued, see ehow.com/how_4830780_obtain-.... None of which you could do anything about from the U.S., so you might have to consider setting business aside for a week or so at least as it seems like it would be a lot easier for you to visit her.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • chinamonty's Profile Photo

Re: My friend Nan says that it is very difficult for her to travel abroad can anyone explain?

by chinamonty Online Now May 10, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Seeing she is a mechanical engineer is there a scope to do a formal invitation by your company for her to visit. Of course she wouldn't be able to work.
    I also depends which province she comes from (not where she works). Chinese have to apply for a passport through their home city. Part of the problem with Chinese going overseas is China wants them to come back -especially the engineers.

• barefootonbeach's Profile Photo

by barefootonbeach Online Now May 10, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Ignore what csillagstoppos said. What he described is Hungary, not China.

First of all, your pal should get a passport. She can apply one from the police office where her Hukou is in. Usually it is not a difficult thing.

If she got a passport, the next thing must to do is to get a visa of US. This is the most hard step cause US controll the visa strictly. Liuzhou is in Hunan province and it is not a developed area such as Guangdong. So it will be more difficlut. Maybe you can give her some help at this step.

If she get passport and visa, then there would be nothing necessarily expect the flight ticket. Accroding to the area she lived, the flight ticket maybe a burden for her.

• barefootonbeach's Profile Photo

by barefootonbeach Online Now May 11, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Liuzhou city is in Guangxi province, not in Hunan. Liuzhou is not far from Guilin.

• MikeySoft's Profile Photo

by MikeySoft Online Now May 11, 2010 at 11:15 AM

" I own a helicopter service buisness that doesn't often allow me to leave on long excursions"

The doesn't OFTEN allow to me mean that you can sometime take the time off to go to China. I think that will be the easiest. The cost to income will be better for you from the US then for her from China.

• gaolei's Profile Photo

by gaolei Online Now May 11, 2010 at 7:42 PM

The first thing, Get a passport. She will probably have to go to her home town to take care of this if she is not a registered citizen of the city she is presently living in. I know a lot of Chinese that travel and have no problem getting a passport and leaving the country. China has a lot of people and the government does not seem to care if anyone leaves.

I know a mechanical engineer in Shenzhen that has been to India, Thailand, Vietnam and a few other countries. She usually goes touring during the yearly vacation weeks. She has to go back to Nanjing to renew her passport this month so she can go to Singapore in the fall. I don't believe the stories that it is difficult to get out of China. She never has a problem.

The real problem is getting a visa to the US. It seems that people from china that are not really good people come here often and good honest people can't seem to get a visa. Single women have the most difficult time, because the immigration people try to prevent them from marrying a US citizen. Unless they can show that this is not their plan, there is no chance to get a visa.

It is remotely possible to write an invitation letter for her to come for joint venture negotiations, or training in the business you are about to open in China. This is a long shot, though.

The easy thing is to go there. If you get along well and you want to marry her, establish a relationship that you can document, and get a fiancée visa. Save your correspondence with her to establish a time line for the relationship. Going there is a fun adventure and necessary if you want to get her out some day.

• chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now May 11, 2010 at 9:59 PM

One thing I did find in China is that some girls (particularly) had problems because their birth wasn't registered and this causes problems later on. If she is an engineer I would think those problems would apply. When my Chinese girlfriend got her passport she had to go back to Inner Mongolia to do it. It can be a costly exercise.

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now May 12, 2010 at 6:28 AM

That comment was inappropriate, Peter.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines