Lithuania Travel Answers

change location

Searching ancestral villages

by Kobrovsky1954 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM

My husband and I are planning a trip to Lithuania. He went in 1984 when travel there was restricted and wants to go now to visit some of the towns previously off limits. We plan to visit Vilnius, Kaunas, Cnemaksciai, Vidukle and Druskininkai. Any info on hotels and drivers/guides would be helpful. Also does anyone have suggestions for travel from there to Belarus?

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Re: Searching ancestral villages

by 1funs8 Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM

If it helps we stayed at the Radisson Blu in Vilnius, a very nice place right outside of old town. The price was very reasonable for what it was.
    We drove to Kaunas and spent an entire day. Really loved that town, the very long pedestrian walkway had tremendous shopping (handmade knit items etc) and nice pastry shops as I recall. There is also a really fantastic museum within a long walk of the pedestrian area which turned out to be very educational and a hit with the family, we felt like it was a real find. It doesn't get visited much except for Japanese tourists based on the sign-in book, which is a shame IMO.

Museum link: en.tracesofwar.com/article/9...

Oh, one other tip (not that you were specifically asking for them), we found the Rundale Palace on route between Riga and Vilnius to be a very pleasant surprise. A wonderful palace and grounds out in the middle of nowhere. Of course the hill of crosses blew us away as well. What a wonderful country to visit! Oh gosh I miss the cold beetroot soup :-).
    Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Searching ancestral villages

by leics Online Now Jan 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I did the opposite an stayed in Kaunas, with a daytrip (by the frequent and cheap public minibuses) to Vilnius.

I really liked Kaunas: have a look at my page for info about it. I stayed in the Hotel Daugirdas, which I thought was very good value for money:

"Excellent value, excellent location" - Daugirdas Hotel Tip by leics

Both Kaunas and Vilnius have good tourist information sites in English. If no VT-ers can make specific recommendations, it might be worth contacting them for a list of local guide/drivers:

http://www.kaunastic.lt/index.php/en/

vilnius-tourism.lt/en/touris...

I can't help with how to get to Belarus although I believe you can fly to Minsk from Kaunas) but you will almost certainly need to organise a visa:

belarus.by/en/travel/travel-...

• r13's Profile Photo

by r13 Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 4:15 AM

As already mentioned You need visa to go to Belorus and most probably it should be arrranged before ariving to Lithuania.
    You can take bus: http://www.autobusubilietai.lt (local and international connections) or train: www.litrail.lt

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

by HORSCHECK Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 5:23 AM

Hello,

Regarding your question about travels to Belarus from Lithuania I can tell you that you definitely need a visa, but this can be organised for you within 24 h in Vilnius. You find more infor about this on my Minsk and Vilnius page.

From Vilnius there are several buses serving the route to Minsk, as well as at leat one early morning train.

From Druskininkai you can travel to Hrodno in Belarus by bus.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions about Belarus feel free to contact me.

HORSCHECK

by Kobrovsky1954 Online Now Jan 25, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Great information! Thanks for your help.

by Jetgirly Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I enjoyed my stay here in Vilnius:

groupeuropa.com/europa_royal...

by Jetgirly Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM

No no no no that was in Kaunas! Just had Vilnius on the brain!

• Raimix's Profile Photo

by Raimix Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Route Vilnius - Kaunas is no problem - buses and trains every 15 or so minutes. If you go to Raseiniu rajonas (Nemaksciai, Vidukle), probably it is better to take bus from Kaunas to Raseiniai, or rent a car. Connection between small towns is not so good. Traveling Vilnius - Druskininkai is not a problem with public transportation :)

• remigia's Profile Photo

by remigia Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 12:15 AM

hi
    As long as you plan visit places in Raseiniai district , it's better planning few nights in Kaunas and renting a car. It would be also easier to reach by bus from Kaunas in case you are not taking car.
    Some of my friends stayed in hotels Kaunas and Park Inn and were quite happy with the stay. They are in town center and easy to reach from station. If you won't rent a car then maybe consider staying in Magnus or IBIS hotels which are just 1 min. walk from the bus station.

by PranasStankus Online Now Mar 8, 2013 at 3:50 AM

Vilnius and Kaunas are worth visiting, Drusknnkai is a resort but I also would recomend to visit trakai (it is very close to vilnius) and Klaipėda (port city) If You are interested in societ army, in klapeda region there is a left over nuclear rocket station which allows tourists. I would extreemly recomend to visit it. It is possible to reach Ukraine from Lithuania but visas are needed for EU citizens...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Lithuania Travel Answer Locations