Lisbon Travel Answers

change location
styxgirl's Profile Photo

5 days in portugal

by styxgirl Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I am beginni9ng to plan my trip and this is what I have come up with.Arrive in a.m. from U.S and take train to Evora,take a look around and spend the night.
The next morning I can see whatever I didn't have time for.Take train to Sintra thru Lisbon.
IN Sintra,visit pena,palace.moorish castle, capuchos convent and Monserrate.I read I can see all of these for 30 euros.going to stay at Almaa hostel for the night.
Next day{start using my lisbon card} go to Quinta de regaleira,archeology museum then over to Queluz Palace.
Take the train to Tomar and see Convent of Christ and tour the city and spend the night
Mid-day go to lisbon see belem tower,jeronimos monastery and Ajuda Palace.
stay the night at Backpackers Hostel
next day see st george castle,carriage museum and mafra palace
stay the night in lisbon then fly on to Spain.

Would like to know if this is quite "doable".Im a female and will be traveling alone so want to do this as easily and safely as possible
Thanks for all the help,it will be appreciated

Quote & Answer
17 Answers
  • Katya42's Profile Photo

Re: 5 days in portugal

by Katya42 Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM

This is definitely a jam-packed itinerary, but it is doable. I don't think you will have any problems as a solo female traveller, I found Portugal to be very welcoming and friendly.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • styxgirl's Profile Photo

by styxgirl Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 7:05 PM

thx for the reply and i agree,don't think i'll have too much trouble.just got to safe and sensible

Be the first to rate this answer!

• monicarc's Profile Photo

by monicarc Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM

We did a similar trip, but we visited Sinatra and evora as day trips from Lisbon. If you are just arriving from the us, I think taking the bus to evora might be a bit tiring, you will have to go and find the bus station, etc etc ( I don't remember going on the train being a good option, but maybe things have changed). Also changing out hotels every few nights is a hassle too.

by styxgirl Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 9:12 PM

thx..gives me something to think about...be safe

by styxgirl Online Now Feb 9, 2013 at 9:16 PM

just have to go on my castle hunt before i go to timehare in malaga

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Two suggestions - you can easily visit Tomar as a day trip from Lisbon. I have. There is no need to stay a night then return to Lisbon for more sightseeing.

It takes about 2 hours on the train to Tomar and these are regional trains so there are no reservations to worry about. Trains run about every two hours.

It will probably be more convenient to take a bus between Lisbon and Èvora. They are much more frequent, only a little slower and slightly cheaper than the trains. Buses leave from the Sete Rios bus terminal in Lisbon, which is next to one of the stations at which the Èvora trains stop. Details at www.rede-expressos.pt and I would strongly advise you buy a ticket in advance if intending to travel on a Friday or Sunday afternoon or at any time around major holidays.

You can get to Sete Rios from the airport by metro (subway) to Jardim Zoologico station which takes about 25 minutes in all. Trains start from Oriente, a few minutes by metro from the airport.

I hope that helps and that enjoy your trip.

• 64novpt's Profile Photo

by 64novpt Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

As already said stay in Lisboa and take the train to Tomar, there's no need to stay there for the night. Visit the Carriage Museum (Museu dos Coches) when in Belém, it's next to the Jerónimos and on the way to Ajuda Palace. If you plan to go to Mafra go in the morning and then after returning to Lisboa go to S. Jorge Castle.

by styxgirl Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 9:36 AM

thanks for all the advice,i have never been there so not sure how close these places actually are

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I would just go ahead and stay in Lisbon and use it as a base to explore all the places nearby you've mentioned. Evora is easily reached either by bus or train in under 2 hrs. from Lisbon. Obidos, Tomar, Batalha etc. can be visited in a day starting out at day break and safely back to your hotel in the evening. Sintra, Cascais, Mafra are much closer and are therefore quicker to reach.

Re: 5 days in portugal is it a good idea to go to mafra palace then on to tomar?can i see alot of tomar?once i get to tomar,is there any way to get to almourol castle?

by styxgirl Online Now Feb 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

64novpt wrote: As already said stay in Lisboa and take the train to Tomar, there's no need to stay there for the night. Visit the Carriage Museum (Museu dos Coches) when in Belém, it's next to the Jerónimos and on the way to Ajuda Palace. If you plan to go to Mafra go in the morning and then after returning to Lisboa go to S. Jorge Castle.

• Arimateia's Profile Photo

by Arimateia Online Now Mar 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Wish you a nice stay in portugal. I´m currently in england but I live in évora and my brotherlives in sintra. If you need any special information or help I´ll be glad to help.
    I travel also alone and till now never had any problem. Portuguese people are usually nice and welcoming but some caution is always good.
    From lisbon to évora you can take the bus. There are lots during the day between lisbon and évora, they take 1.30h or 1.45h depending if they stop in montemor-o-novo. You can also go by train but only have 3 during the day.
    I´ve visited all he places you mentioned and all is worth visiting.

• anaanes's Profile Photo

by anaanes Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:49 AM

You can pick the train to Evora, it's a trip about 1h30 for (~16€). The train station are in Entrecampos, Oriente and Santa Apolónia.
    The Bus is a trip of 2h30 (11€). The bus station is in Sete Rios.

Train site: http://www.cp.pt
    Bus site: http://www.rede-expressos.pt/

by anaanes Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 5:57 AM

I don't think you'll be able to check all that 4 palaces in only a day on Sintra, and if you didn't rent a car, you surely won't be able to do that.
    And you're skipping the best one (in my opinio, of course): Regaleira Estate.
    With so few time you only be able to see the Pena Palace, avoiding it's garden. The Mouro's Castle, it's near Pena so, once you get there you can easyly check the two monuments.
    It a bit most complicated to get to Monserrate and to Capuchos, but there are buses on Sintra to get there.
    In the Center of Sintra there are two more palaces: Sintra Palace and Regaleira Estate (There's no review of that place on VT, I definitly must write one!).
    If it pleases you I can teel you where to eat, avoiding the tourist traps.

by styxgirl Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM

thanks for the advice and i am going to rearrange a new schedule. i was thinking of staying at almaa hostel in sintra for 3 nights. going to see everything in sintra,qulez, and going out to the beach towns. I will then go to lisbon for 4 nights,seeing the city and also going to tomar and evora.Does this sound a lot better? need and want any advice you will give me.appreciate your help...linda

by anaanes Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I think so!
    Do you want some restaurant, café and bar names and description?

by styxgirl Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM

yes,please. i wil be traveling alone so dont want to go too far out or too late.what do you think of Residensial joao XXI hotel in lisbon?is it in a good location?

by anaanes Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 10:51 AM

If you´re travelling alone I strongly recomend you to do not walk the streets alone during the night (during the night I mean after midnight until 7am, specially on strrets with few people - a girl always have to take care of herself).
    It's a good location because it's near a metro station, witch line is the green. Anjos is a multi cultural area, there you'll see lots of immigrants.
    I'm going to check some restaurants and bars, and some free sightseeing points to tell you about.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines