Lisbon Travel Answers

change location
lanheses's Profile Photo

Marchas Populares de Santo Antonio

by lanheses Online Now Apr 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Hello,

I'm planning on attending the 12th of June Festa de Santos Populares this June and was wondering where the best place to stay would be, on the Avenida da Liberdade or near the Rossio square.
I plan on watching the parade and then heading out for some drinks at one of the street bars so not too sure if staying on the Avenida da Liberdade would be the best place, or where the parade finishes in the Rossio.

Also, by what I've read sounds like the main day of festivities is the day/night of the 12th of June, but is there anything interesting happening on the 13th of June? Trying to figure out if it's worth staying in Lisbon for that day too. I was in Lisbon last year so I won't be doing all the touristy things again, just there for the parade).

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • smonteiromota's Profile Photo

Re: Marchas Populares de Santo Antonio

by smonteiromota Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Well, if you intend to see the parade from the window of your hotel room, you must choose a hotel on Avenida da Liberdade. This is because the parade starts at the Marquês de Pombal, and ends before reaching the Rossio, at the end of the avenue.
    To see the neighborhoods groups acting, singing and dancing in the parade, you must be at Avenida da Liberdade.
    Normally, during this week, every night there is food, drink, music and dancing in the streets, but only at night.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

Re: Marchas Populares de Santo Antonio

by SOLODANCER Online Now Apr 18, 2012 at 8:43 AM

best viewing to me would be from the Avenida da Liberdade

thereafter i'd head towards the Alfama where the happening is in terms of open-air food and drink festivities, be aware tho it's packed to the gills

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines