Lisbon Travel Answers

change location

What garden to visit?

by mtnmusic99 Online Now Feb 18, 2012 at 11:31 AM

We will be arrive by cruise ship in Lisbon in May and are undecided about a visit to either the Ajuda Botanical Garden or the Tropical Garden next to Palace of Belem. Both open at 9 AM and we want to visit while awaiting the Monastery of Jeronimos to open at 10 AM. Which do you suggest?

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: What garden to visit?

by leics Online Now Feb 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I'd go to the Tropical Garden in Belem a) because it's pretty much next door to Jeronimos b) because it's a nice little garden and c) because it's on the same side of the road and very near to the excellent Pasteis de Belem

http://pasteisdebelem.pt/en.html

which you should most definitely visit before or after the monastery (or both!). :-)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • IreneMcKay's Profile Photo

by IreneMcKay Online Now Feb 18, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I have not visited either of these gardens, but as Leics says there are lots of sights that can be combined with The Tropical Garden of Belem. As well as the monastery there is the Discoveries Monument and Belem Tower, the Pasteis de Belem for refreshments and a look at the many different tiled buildings near this cafe.

I do not know if there are other things worth seeing near the Botanical Gardens, so if you can only do one, I'd go for Belem. have a good trip.

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Feb 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM

the two gardens you mentioned are both nice enough places to visit to spend your one hour before taking on the grand Mosteiro dos Jeronimos

the tropical garden (Jardim Agricola Tropical) however is literally right next to the monastery thus very convenient for your time limit...whereas the garden in the Ajuda district tho quick enough to get to by taxi (a good 15 to 20 minute walk uphill) will no doubt cut into your garden enjoyment if you intend to spend the bulk of your time at the monastery

if you have an entire day to spend however and do love great gardens, the best of them all is Lisbon's Jardim Botanico up in the neighborhood of Bairro Alto, a quick taxi ride or you can take the tram/bus to Cais do Sodre and transfer to a bus upwards to Bairro Alto where the garden entrance next to the science department of the University of Lisbon is a primary stop

• smonteiromota's Profile Photo

by smonteiromota Online Now Feb 22, 2012 at 2:36 AM

I agree with the previous answers and I just want to add the following information: the garden near the Monastery is the "Jardim do Ultramar" and evoke the "Age of Discovery". In the garden were planted different species that were brought from places that Portugal colonized. Thus, there are species brought from Brasil, Angola, Cabo Verde, Madeira, Açores, Moçambique, Índia, Sri Lanka, Indonésia, Timor and Macau.

• SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Feb 22, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Samuel, I think Jardim do Ultramar is one and the same as Jardim Agricola Tropical, both refer to the same garden

At least this is how the garden is referred to and described in all facts about Lisbon and too what's clearly named of and placed at its entrance...at least from the few times I've visited it and where I'd take a little nap on one of its benches before visiting Belem's main sights

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines