Limone sul Garda Travel Answers

change location
tawnylyra's Profile Photo

Lemons/Transportation

by tawnylyra Online Now Apr 17, 2008 at 4:00 PM

I had a few questions about Limone, any info would be great! Firstly, is this a good “small” city/town to visit? All the other places I plan on seeing on my trip are rather large and I wanted to pick at least one smaller place to see.

Does anyone know of any inexpensive "budget" hotels/B&B there? Are there hostels? Also, are there buses or trains that can take me to Limone (probably from Turin/Torino)? Is the bus/train/whatever expensive? And it's my understanding that Limone has a lot of lemons growing there (but that has nothing to do with the name), when is the "lemon season"? Is there a particular month (or months) that the lemons are on the vines (or trees, I honestly don't know what lemons grow on :-p).

Thanks for any and all advice!

-Sarah

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • Re: Lemons/Transportation

by cassiovieggore Online Now Apr 17, 2008 at 5:26 PM

It's the second time I write about Garda Lake today. The first one was some hour ago and the VTmember answered about Malcesine. Limone Sul Garda and Malcesine are on shore of Garda Lake. They are on opposite side...
    It's a small town but very nice. Transportations (bus/trains/car/ferry) is widely used on seasons and vacations. So at night one fondle life at near cities (Verano, Milano, Brescia, Parma)
    There are many reasons people say Limone/Lemons is in the name of city. No one knows the correct answer.
    One interesting information: Goethe (the german poet) had been there.
    I am attaching below some interesting links for you who wonder a visit to Limone.
    visitlimonesulgarda.com/inde...
    tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2278...
    Limone sul Garda Transportation
    tripadvisor.com/LocalMaps-g2...
    Cassiovieggore

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • effeti's Profile Photo

Re: Lemons/Transportation

by effeti Online Now Apr 17, 2008 at 10:55 PM

Look also here:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limone...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon

To go there, train ( http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html ) up to Desenzano del Garda, then bus ( trasportibrescia.it/upload/o... ) to Limone.

Once there was a little relevant cultivation of lemons, with the typical glasshouses for winter. Now, there are just a few for private use.
    Ciao
    Francesco

• marco2005's Profile Photo

by marco2005 Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 6:13 AM

"there buses or trains that can take me to Limone probably from Turin/Torino?"
    Yes! but they will drop you in Limone Piemonte. A little town in the Alps mountains south of Torino.
    Ciao.
    marco

• effeti's Profile Photo

by effeti Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 7:33 AM

Yes, the doubt crossed my mind too... ben then i thought no one has ever raised a lemon tree in Limone Piemonte!
    Ciao
    Francesco

• tawnylyra's Profile Photo

by tawnylyra Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 8:29 AM

I really only picked Limone cause I liked the name and heard there were lemons (which I love), seems a bit superficial I know but I know nothing about Italy (besides the big places such as Florence, Venice, Rome, Naples, etc) and picking places to go that aren’t bold on maps pretty much means I can pick a name off a map, do a ton of research (which I have, and it's exhausting) and try to choose places that way, or I can just be like oh, Limone, interesting name, small, has lemons. Sounds good :-p

Although picking places like this seems to work out, I only picked Turin/Torino because it's right in my path, so I thought I’ll stop here for a day, and then I found out that there is a big Egyptian museum there (second only to the one in Cairo apparently), and guess what I'm very passionate about? Ancient Egypt! So now Turin is one of my MUST SEE places.

If anyone has any suggestions for other lemony places, I'm all ears :-)

by tawnylyra Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 8:30 AM

Oh, and thanks for all the responses :-)

• effeti's Profile Photo

by effeti Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 8:37 AM

Lol, you're funny and lucky! Yes, the Torino Egyptian museum is a real must, You'll love it!.

And Limone sul Garda is a wonderful little town, with a high mountain on the back, and a wonderful view on the lake in front.

Do not miss Malcesine, just in front.... Easy boat connection, too.

Fond of lemons? Then Sorrento could be a place for you, and Sicily or Calabria as well (where actually there is the production).

here in the north the lemon trees can give lemons (i have one, too!) but in winter they must be carried indoor, so they are all in big vases.

by marco2005 Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 8:44 AM

Give a look at Torino pages on VT, a lot of infoes.
    e.g. "TORINO" - Torino by marco2005
    disclaimer: I have a conflict of interest ;-)

by tawnylyra Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 9:48 AM

I do feel lucky, if I hadn't known about that museum and had went and not gone there I would be SO disappointed! I have been doing lots of research on Torino since then and it sounds really nice, I'm very excited for my trip!

So, Sorrento, Sicily, or Calabria have lemons eh? Is there a particular time of the year they produce a lot of lemons?

I had a dream last night about lemons and have been craving them all morning, the more I talk about it the more my mouth waters. I think I might faint if I actually see a bunch of trees covered in lemons lol. I bet the smell wonderful. I wish we grew lemons here! All we have in Washington State are massive amounts of apples, and in my town, corn.

• effeti's Profile Photo

by effeti Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 10:06 AM

The lemons, dependind on kind and techinqes, are read in march, or summer, or in the fall.
    Ahhhh from teh treee they semll wonderful... And, when in italy, DO NOT forget to taste the limoncello liquor, made by lemom peels, sugar and alchool! I do it at home, and it's a delicious digestive!
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonc...

Ciao!
    Francesco

by tawnylyra Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 11:24 AM

Ahh the Limoncello sounds great, I want to pack up and leave right now so I can try it! Ah! :-p the internet is wonderful for looking things up and getting great info but the more I read the more I want to leave! :-)

by marco2005 Online Now Apr 21, 2008 at 1:49 AM

well, here in Torino we have no lemon on the trees... but "gianduiotti" :-D
    So we have a liquor that's called "Bicerin" (like the most famous Torino's drink).
    ciao

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Limone sul Garda