Limburg an der Lahn Travel Answers

change location
helenrosem's Profile Photo

Train Fare

by helenrosem Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 1:16 PM

How much would the regular (not ICE) train fare be from Frankfurt to Limburg?

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Train Fare

by ATLC Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 2:50 PM

I've searched reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu... (the English version of the German train scheduler), but it says that fares are not available. The ICE fare is 28 euro. So I would think it would be quite a bit lower than that for a regular train. The trip only takes a little over an hour.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

by lostsooner55 Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 3:11 PM

I looked at the site in English, and it said, as you mentioned, "Fare not Available", but under mode of travel said "RB Bus" Gary

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Well spotted!
    I looked a bit further but soon got lost in all the public transportation companies. Unfortunately...

by lostsooner55 Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Does "RB Bus", mean Regional Bahn and Bus, or is that the name of a company ? B

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 3:33 PM

RB does mean Regional Bahn. I just caught that when I clicked on a link.
    See bahn.de/hilfe/view/pk/en/all...

by lostsooner55 Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 4:08 PM

You might want to check on: http://www.bahn.de, to make sure the German trains are not affected by a strike when you wish to travel. They seem to have that possibility right now. Gary

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 5:15 PM

For Frankfurt to Limburg with regional trains the RMV tariff applies. Thus the prices are not shown in the DB timetable.
    Single ticket is EUR 9,50. RMV price level 6.
    The RMV tickets are zone-to-zone tickets. You can travel on them from any S-Bahn/U-Bahn/tram/bus stop in Frankfurt to any train/bus stop in Limburg.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Oct 17, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Out of interest: can you find this sort of information on the internet? I mean, local bus networks, RB networks: schedulers and prices?

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Oct 19, 2007 at 12:03 PM

The DB timetable covers all public transport in Germany. Trains, trams, buses. Even the boat schedules on some rivers and lakes.
    reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...
    In the advanced search mode you can even query by address. The system knows about 40 mio addresses in Germany.

To find the right prices if not displayed by the DB timetable is not that easy.
    If there are no prices given and the trip is not too far, it will be mostlikely inside a Verkehrsverbund (local public transport network). They have their own tariffs which are not shown by the DB timetable. In this case the RMV tariff applies. They all have a homepage but they are often or at least mainly in German only and to find the fares is often not easy (like counting fare zones you will cross). RMV with its fare calculator in English is rather the exception.
    rmv.de/auskunft/bin/jp/query...

Verkehrsverbünde in Germany
    de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_...
    (dark grey = none)

Tickets inside such a network are always zone-to-zone tickets covering all local public transport (regional trains, S-Bahn, U-Bahn, trams, buses) inside these zones. If it comes to tariff details however they employ experts which ensure that their rules are for sure different than the ones of all other such networks in Germany ;-o

• himalia11's Profile Photo

by himalia11 Online Now Oct 21, 2007 at 5:29 AM

I know you asked for the regular fare which abalada already answered accurately, but in case you want to go from Frankfurt to Limburg and back the same day with 2 persons or more, you should consider taking a Hessenticket. That's what we usually use. It costs 29 Euro for up to 5 persons and can be used after 9 am Mo-Fr and all day on the week-end. ICE are not allowed, but if you take the ICE to Limburg you'll end up at the station "Limburg Süd" and need a bus to the town centre, whereas the other trains end at the central station which is in the centre.

• helenrosem's Profile Photo

by helenrosem Online Now Oct 29, 2007 at 3:40 PM

thank you so much, I see now why I couldn't get it on the Bahn website. I'm trying to calculate my travel costs to see if it would be cheaper to get a railpass. Thanx again!

• helenrosem's Profile Photo

by helenrosem Online Now Jan 3, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Hi, have had my beautiful trip to Germany and i just wanted to tell you that we did indeed get the ticket for 29E for four people and that was very economical. Thanx for the great tip!!!!!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines