Limassol Travel Answers

change location

If walking around Limassol what to see?

by jurynaples Online Now Oct 24, 2007 at 1:39 PM

We are going to be in Limassol on a cruise next May for only @ 7 hrs. I had wanted to go to Troodos region to see painted churches but advised it's a holiday and price was ridiculous as well as time constraints. I've heard there might be some beautiful painted churches in Limassol to see but don't know the names of any. I see paintings on some real estate sites of churches supposedly in Limassol but can't get response to names. Thinking may not want to do museum/castle thing since we will be doing that in Greece, Italy, etc. Would love any thoughts on things to do if walking around Limassol - any Byzantine era paintings in small churches, etc.? If someone thinks there is something really worth seeing, please let me know. Not getting much help from Cyprus Tourism Office & guides are quoting me ridiculous prices like600 USD for 4 hrs. of driving around, since it's a holiday. Any thoughts for walking/Limassol?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • cyprus4holidays's Profile Photo

Re: If walking around Limassol what to see?

by cyprus4holidays Online Now Jan 9, 2008 at 8:02 AM

Hi,
    Usually, if you are coming into Limassol by cruise ship, you will find they do offer onboard excursions to Omodos Village (about 45 minutes drive from the port). There is a fabulous monastery in the village itself and now some of the cloisters have been turned into exhibition rooms too. The village is very quaint, although it is now a tourist village but you will be able to see and purchase locally made honey, olive oil, soaps, lace, silver etc.

Other than that - you could take a taxi into Limassol Old Town and ask it to drop you by the Electricity main office, which is directly across from a very large orthodox church. From there you can wander along the pedestrianised shopping street (St Andrews Street) and just around the corner from the main post office building is the covered fruit and vegetable market.

A lot depends on the day and time you will be in Cyprus. If you arrive on Sunday, you may find a number of the shops on St Andrews St, covered market etc will be closed. The shops in Omodos village will still be open though.

Good luck
    Cyprus4holidays (living in Limassol)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines