Lima Travel Answers

change location
Unique82's Profile Photo

machu picchu to Lima transport

by Unique82 Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Hi all, im travelling to machu picchu from Cusco after machu picchu i want to go to Lima but to do this bus bus or train do i have to go through Cusco again?. If not can you recommend me any bus companies? Thank you .

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: machu picchu to Lima transport

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Machu Picchu is at the end of the Sacred Valley, a "dead end" so to speak, so yes, you have to return to Cusco for transport out of the area. There are no trains to Lima; only to Puno and of course Aguas Calientes / Machu Picchu, so flying or potentially taking a bus are the only way to go.

We flew, so I can't comment on the bus option.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • wabat's Profile Photo

by wabat Online Now Jan 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Yes you will need to go back to Cusco and from there a long hard bus ride. Unless you want to stop along way I recommend you fly.

• hawkhead's Profile Photo

by hawkhead Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Assume you are going into Cusco and on to MP from a destination other than Peru 'cos to get to Cusco you will have to fly from Lima - unless you come the overland route from Puno.

As noted, it is a LONG HARD bus journey from Cusco to Lima, in the order of 21 hours.

• walkietalkie2012's Profile Photo

by walkietalkie2012 Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 3:20 PM

yes its a long way back by bus from Cusco to Lima. The coach company is Cruz del Sur. Get the lower deck seat because it can recline fully. If u can afford it best to fly from Cusco to Lima. Only a couple of hrs flight.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines