Lima Travel Answers

change location
Pamelita's Profile Photo

Wine bars and wine culture in Lima

by Pamelita Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Hello! Can anyone recommend any wine bars in Lima? I'm not looking for nightclubs or bars with DJs and a total scene; I'm looking specifically for a low-key environment where one can go to enjoy a glass of wine or two before or after dinner. Thanks in advance.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: Wine bars and wine culture in Lima

by hawkhead Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 4:07 AM

Mmmmmm, difficult one this, as Peruvians are not really into wine bars as such. Where are you going to be staying? Lima is a huge city and I might suggest somewhere and you would have to travel miles and miles. However, if you are in the centro historico, try the Maury Hotel bar - this is where the pisco sour originated and they do serve the best. Place hasn't changed since it was built. Hotel itself used to be THE place but now is sadly dated and outmoded and a trifle tacky but the bar is worth a visit. Also, you could try the bar in the Bolivar Hotel, also in the centro historico. Other than that, all I can suggest at the moment is to try the bars in various hotels near to where you are staying.

2 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by hawkhead Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Just had another think - there are what are called "wine bars" but as well as serving wines and other drinks, they also serve full meals, more like a restaurant. I just never think of them as wine bars 'cos they are much more like restaurants!! Let me know where you are staying and I will be able to help more.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Pamelita's Profile Photo

by Pamelita Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Thanks, Hawkhead! We'll be staying in Miraflores the whole time we're there, but I've been to the Centro Histórico so I'll give your two suggestions a try. And if you know of anything in Miraflores, let me know. What I've found thru online research are: La Esquina Wine Bar and Dionisos. If you have first-hand experience with either, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks again!

by hawkhead Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Yes, I know about them but they aren't really 'wine bars' in the way that I think you mean. I would have thought that any of the hotels in Miraflores would have had a reasonably pleasant and tranquil bar of the general type in which to enjoy a drink or two. I wonder if you have experienced a peña? You might think about giving that a go - not on the quiet and tranquil scale though but certainly not to be missed if you can find one that doesn't cater to tourists.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines