Lillehammer Travel Answers

change location

Ski and snow

by Woolwich Online Now Oct 7, 2008 at 2:55 PM

HI
Can anyone please tell me what kind of skiing conditions are in Lillehammer during Christmas time? I would like to visit with my family but never been before and I am concern about the snow fall and if the skiing is usualy guaranted? I have been told the area of Skeikampen is pretty much the most snowsure...but does that mean the other skiing resorts might be without snow?

Does anyone know how were the skiing conditions in the winter 2006/2007 when most of the Alps in Wester Europe seen no snow? Thank you very much W

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • SailorRoar's Profile Photo

Re: Ski and snow

by SailorRoar Online Now Oct 8, 2008 at 5:00 AM

Hi

Most ski resorts have snow machines which makes them able to produce snow as long as the temperature comes down to about 0 Celcuis (which it is allready doing). But around Christmas most places should have snow, unless something very strange happens. I don't know Skeikampen, but another place that pretty secure when it comes to snow is Bjorli (210 km north of Lillehammer) but I would imagine that Hafjell and Kvitfjell is open by then aswell (they are just a short drive north of Lillehammer).

Hafjell: skiinfo.no/Ski-Resort-Info/H...
    Kvitfjell: skiinfo.no/Ski-Resort-Info/K...
    Bjorli: skiinfo.no/Ski-Resort-Info/B...
    Dombås: skiinfo.no/Ski-Resort-Info/D...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Ski and snow

by sidrapunk Online Now Oct 11, 2008 at 3:57 PM

Hi, I don't know about Lillehammer, but I went to Geilo for Christmas 2007 and there was enough snow (approx 30cm) to start and got better during the week (extra 20cm). We flew into Oslo with snow on the ground (maybe 10cm) and saw it all the way to Geilo. However, I do remember that there was heavy rain in early December which washed away the early snow accumulations.
    Lillehammer is very unlikely not to have snow and the resorts will use snow cannons to build a base layer, especially for peak times. Lillehammer has 80% coverage with snow cannons (source Neilson ski holiday brochure)

I'm going back this year, but maybe for New Year week.
    Skol
    D

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines