Lijiang Travel Answers

change location

Yunnan visit

by houseswapper Online Now Mar 18, 2012 at 1:29 AM

We are planning this leg. We would be coming from Chengdu. I am uncertain as to what is the best approach and whether it is worth the effort involved to get to Lijiang. We are not hikers and I have read that the roads to the various Gorges can be quite dangerous. We are also trying to decide if it is a scenic route by train from Lijiang to Kunming during the day. Of course I am also concerned about availability of train tickets as we are not on a flexible timetable.
Is Kunming just another big city?
I have also read that there is a bit of turbulance flying into Lijiang or Kunming. As I have some problems with flying this is another concern.
I don't wish to sound so negative but I want to make sure that I am not totally out of my comfort zone in doing this holiday.
We plan to go to Guilin from there. Hoping that someone can me iron out my concerns.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Yunnan visit

by Mr.Brown Online Now Apr 1, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Lijiang is certainly worth the trip. If you are on a tight timetable travel there, unless it is flying, can be quite time consuming. The train from Chengdu to Kunming takes about 19 hours and then further on, through Dali and finally arriving at Lijiang would take about another 14, by bus. The roads are windy but the views are spectacular!! There is a train that goes to Dali, but as far as I know, it doesn't go further north to Lijiang. It is a spectacular part of China, though.

So, unless you are willing to fly, I would say that coming from Chengdu all the way to Lijiang would be very challenging for you. In my opinion you would be better off going to the Zhangjiajie mountains in the Hunan province, which is north of Guilin. This would give you plenty of time to explore the countryside and surrounding areas and you may find it is an easier trip that won't remove you from the level of comfort you like to travel at.

All the best on your journey!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Yunnan visit

by houseswapper Online Now Apr 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Thank you Mr Brown, that was very informative. I have in fact decided to fly because of the time limits. So I am looking forward to seeing this very popular destination as it must be very special.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines