Lihue Travel Answers

change location

What kind of Public Transport is there in Lihue?

by lolly99 Online Now Sep 29, 2005 at 10:17 AM

That pretty much is the question. Someone mentioned Public Transport here. What kind of public transport is there?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • BlueCollar's Profile Photo

RE: What kind of Public Transport is there in Lihue?

by BlueCollar Online Now Sep 30, 2005 at 1:42 AM

I've never seen any while on Kaua`i and several different Google's revealed nothing. I even searched gohawaii.com and found nothing. Doesn't look like there is much choice. But I'm still looking.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • 97bolts's Profile Photo

by 97bolts Online Now Sep 30, 2005 at 1:29 PM

I live on Oahu, but know people on Kauai and have been there many times. There is no public transportation and really the only way to get around is to rent a car. Have fun its a great place.

97Bolts

• debrannan's Profile Photo

by debrannan Online Now Oct 24, 2005 at 8:05 PM

I am going there at the end of the week and had several questions for the concergie - the answer to this one is there is no public transportion on Kauai. But I hear it is cheaper to rent a car there as opposed to rent it before you go - now I do not know if this is true or not?

• RE: What kind of Public Transport is there in Lihue?

by erinbishop Online Now Oct 31, 2005 at 4:31 PM

When we were on Kauai, we noticed there was a bus system, but that it was not a major transportation means between towns, hardly any tourists used it and when we did see bus stops, they were out of the way, and often the people waiting looked worn out. The towns and beaches are spaced out, so taxi's are probably expensive. If you are staying within Lihue, they probably have a better system, if you are trying to get out and see the island, go ahead and rent a car.

• debrannan's Profile Photo

RE: RE: RE: What kind of Public Transport is there in Lihue?

by debrannan Online Now Nov 14, 2005 at 8:21 AM

Thank you for your responses - there is public transportation kauai-hawaii.com/visitor-faq... but it is limited. I ended up renting a car - I was staying on the North side of the island and this requires a car. Unlike The Bus on Oahu - the service is limited. The US census reported less than 5% of residents use public transportation.

• RogerOma's Profile Photo

RE: RE: What kind of Public Transport is there in Lihue?

by RogerOma Online Now Apr 2, 2006 at 7:59 AM

We shopped with kayak, and sidestep plus priceline than double checked by going directly to the rental agency. Dollar was the lowest you could get a compact or economy for under twenty aday. I believe they had a special on convertibles too, what with all the rain right now I don't imagine they're racking up alot of miles.

• hanapatria's Profile Photo

by hanapatria Online Now Apr 3, 2006 at 1:21 AM

The best deal is to get a rental car. It is super easy to drive around the island. The only public transportation are the shuttles, however they are not the most convenient because they have limited route and schedules.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines