Lignano Sabbiadoro Travel Answers

change location

travel to Lignano from Venice

by ellenl7958 Online Now Aug 2, 2011 at 11:38 AM

We will be in Venice and need to travel to Lignano for the World Ultimate Beach tournament in August.What is the best way to get from Venice Maestre to Lignano? I see there is a train to Latisana and then I assume you can take a bus or taxi from there? or is there a direct bus from Venice? If we take the train how expensive and how far is Lignano from Latisana? Thank you

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: travel to Lignano from Venice

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 2, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Did you see
    wcbu2011.com/index.php/en/sh...
    ?

If this works for you, then note that Venice's Marco Polo Airport is a not particularly long bus ride from Venice Mestre train station, whether on the slow (cheap) city bus #5 (as I recall), or the slightly more expensive non-stop shuttles that connect the airport to Mestre and Piazzale Roma...

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: travel to Lignano from Venice

by ellenl7958 Online Now Aug 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Thank You.If we decide to take the train to Latisana is there a bus or taxi that goes to Lignano? If so any ideas on price? I think we are taking train to Latisana because the bus takes 3 hrs.

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 3, 2011 at 7:18 AM

There appears to be frequent bus service from Latisana to Lignano Sabbiadoro. See is this link works for you:
    saf.ud.it/RicercaOrari2.aspx...

This is the website for the bus service for Udine, which shows both lines inside (urbani) and outside town (extraurbani).

As you can see, the bus runs every 20-30 minutes during rush hour and every hour mid morning and mid afternoon. The trip is 40 minutes...assuming that you want to get off at the stop I picked at random (the bus depot and probably end-of-line: "capolinea") in Lignano Sabbiadoro...other stops may be more convenient to your destination. I don't see the fare, but I don't imagine it's much.

To see the trains, look at www.trenitalia.com (English button at the top). As you can see, trains between Venice and Latisana are not all that frequent:
    depart - arrive
    Venice Latisana
    07:03 - 08:16
    07:34 - 08:43
    09:11 - 10:18
    09:48 - 10:55
    and so on
    The fares vary from 5.85 to 13.00 euro each 2nd class one way, based on the type of train (as you can see, the speeds don't vary all that much).

NOTE: if you plan to make this trip on a Sunday or holiday, doublecheck the schedules as regional train schedules and bus schedules are often reduced on these days.

As for your comment that the bus takes three hours, I see that the city bus out of Venice does take three hours - see line 8A at
    atvo.it/index.php?lang=it&ar...
    (click on "estivo" on the same row as Linea 8A to see the summer schedule).

But I don't know that the shuttle referred to in the webpage that I posted before is as slow. I had the impression that these were special shuttles set up by the event, in which case, they wouldn't have as many stops, I would think. How about sending them an email to see?

OK, can you see the stuff I shown you?

Bill

by ellenl7958 Online Now Aug 3, 2011 at 7:50 AM

I emailed them but have not heard back about the shuttle.

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM

I wish you luck...the website seemed very inviting so I hope they will answer quickly...

Bill

by ellenl7958 Online Now Aug 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM

they say there will be no shuttle these days because tournament has already begun so back to train and bus I assume. Any idea how I would find out what is the closest stop to the Hotel Atlantic? Should I just ask once we get on the bus?

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 4, 2011 at 12:57 PM

The sad thing about most Italian bus websites (and this may be true world-wide) is that they name the stops...but unless you live there, you may not know what they mean by the name.

Here is the list of the last 7 stops on this bus:
    09:31 - LIGNANO PINETA CORSO ALISEI LA BOTTE
    09:33 - LIGNANO PINETA VIA CENTRALE GIARDINI
    09:35 - LIGNANO SABBIADORO VIA CENTRALE COLONIE
    09:36 - LIGNANO CAMPING VIA CENTRALE
    09:36 - LIGNANO SABBIADORO AL GAMBERO
    09:38 - LIGNANO SABBIADORO AL PONTE
    09:40 - LIGNANO VIA LATISANA CAPOLINEA

Your hotel is about (physically) halfway between Lignano Pineta and Pineta Sabbiadoro. I can see Corso Alisei in the center of Lignano Pineta. Via Centrale Giardini goes east straight in the direction of Lignano Sabbiadoro. (I uses www.viamichelin.com for mapping software)

We continue along Via Centrale where we have two stops: Colonie and Camping - I am not sure where they are along this street.

Then we have Sabbiadoro Al Gambero and Al Ponte. Sabbiadoro may mean the second word in the name of the town or the street Via Sabbiadoro. But the route on the bus map is hard to trace since it wanders through people's property and buildings (oops). But this map may mean that the bus goes along Via Centrale and turns left onto Via Sabbiadoro to go up to Via Latisana to head to the town center where the bus depot is.

If so, this would be good for you, because if you took a right on Via Sabbiadoro off of Via Centrale instead of a left, you would go straight to your hotel, which is at Lungomare Trieste 160 - which is nearly at the intersection of Via Sabbiadoro and Lungomare Trieste (a road that runs "along the sea").

If you're lucky and there's a stop at Via Centrale and Via Sabbiadoro (no guarantees), then the hotel appears to be just 300 meters away...

So board the bus and ask the driver sweetly:
    "Andiamo a Hotel Atlantic in Lignano Sabbiadoro.
    L'albergo e' all'incrocio di Via Sabbiadoro e Lungomare Treiste (indirizzo: Lungomare Trieste, 160).
    Voremmo scendere alla fermata piu' vicina all'albergo.
    Vi prego dirci dove scendiamo! "

(We're going to the Hotel Atlantic in Liganao Sabbiadoro.
    The hotel is at the intersection of Via Sabbiadoro and Lungomare Trieste (street address: Lungomare Trieste 160).
    We would like to get off at the closest stop to the hotel.
    Please tell us where we should get off!)

If you write that out (in block letters - our cursive is a little different from European cursive) and show it to the driver if he/she doesn't speak English, then the driver will almost certainly turn around at the right time and tell you where to get off...and quite possibly stop the bus and point the way to the hotel, or a passenger may do it...when you politely ask Europeans for help with something that they can actually help you with, well, they often go out of their way to be good sports.

Of course, there may be lots of other people - young people who speak English - making the same trip so the note may not even be necessary...but I am sure that you will be able to work it out...

Buon viaggio!

Bill

by ellenl7958 Online Now Aug 5, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Thank You so much for all your help! Luckily my son will arrive to participate in the tournament a few days before we get there so he will have a good idea of how to get around by the time we get there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Lignano Sabbiadoro