Liechtenstein Travel Answers

change location
irvbur's Profile Photo

Train trip

by irvbur Online Now Sep 22, 2005 at 9:11 AM

Hi Friends,
Although we are pretty well travelled, we have never gone on our own by train. We are exploring visiting France, Switzerland, Austria, and Lichtenstein by rail. We (2 people) plan on being in Europe for about 2 weeks but have no particular itinerary in mind yet, and no idea of how long we'll be staying in each location. We will be each carrying 1 regular size piece of luggage plus a tote. NO BACKPACKS and we need what we're taking! Is it easily doable to travel by Eurail, stay in a centrally located, reasonably priced hotel for 1 or more days, and get on another train to our next destination? Are all intercity trains covered by Eurail? Do you need reservations in advance? What is the difference in 1st & 2nd class? If we buy a 10-15 day pass(I'm not sure how they're sold)is it good for a sleeper, or is that a different ticket? Can you mix sleeper/non sleeper, 1st & 2nd class on the same ticket?
Any and all info would be appreciated, even if I asked the wrong questions.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: Train trip

by LoraineOg Online Now Sep 4, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Rick Steves website www.ricksteves.com has great information about rail passes. Your pass will be either 1st class or 2nd class, not both. Sleepers are not included in rail passes, just train travel. High speed trains and some others require mandatory reservations in addition to the rail pass. www.raileurope.com allows you to purchase reservations in advance or you can get them in Europe. Eurail passes must be purchased in America before you leave (or so I've always read). Flexipass saver passes allow two or more people to travel together at a reduced rate. However, you must travel together at all times on the train. Not all intercity trains are covered by Eurail. For example, Circumsuviana trains in Italy are not. Not much difference between 1st and 2nd class. I have traveled extensively by train in Europe and love it! Most trains are dead on time. Rick Steves website directs you to another website where you can check train times and that info is available on raileurope website also. Good luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Liechtenstein Travel Answer Locations