Lesvos Travel Answers

change location

Cost of living

by Dixie06 Online Now Jun 15, 2006 at 9:09 AM

We are going to Petra on 13th July for two weeks. Can anyone give me a guide on the cost of living, i.e. the cost for a meal for two people, the price of a beer and a cocktail. We are not sure how much spending money to take for two weeks but would £1,000 be enough?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • RE: Cost of living

by osandland Online Now Jun 15, 2006 at 2:38 PM

First, I have not been to Lesvos, and it's been three years since I visited the islands now so I won't comment on exact prices for beverages and meals. In about a week I can let you know :).

We've been around many islands though - Samos being one of them. We are a family with two children (2 and 6 years old), and we expect to come by every day with about £100 per day..that might even allow us to rent a car a few days. It includes everything, including a place to stay.

If you order your stay in advance, the price will probably be very much higher than if you just show up and go with someone that shows up at the harbor to offer rooms when the boats come in. But you know this already right? :)

Best regards from Norway,
    Ørjan Sandland
    leaving in 2days

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • oilmouse's Profile Photo

RE: Cost of living

by oilmouse Online Now Jun 16, 2006 at 9:23 AM

I'M LIVING IN THE MAINLAND OF GREECE AND I'LL TELL YOU THE PRICES IN MY TOWN. THE PRICES IN THE ISLANDS ARE A BIT HIGHER. A FULL GREEK MEAL (INCLUDING AT LEAST 3 SALADS AND THE DRINKS) FOR 2 AT A TAVERN COST 30-40 EUROS. A BEER AT A BAR ABOUT 3-5 EUROS. COCTAIL AND DRINKS AT LEAST 5 EUROS. A BOTTLE OF 500ml WATER 0,5 EUROS. IF YOU WANT TO RENT A CAR AT LEAST 30 EUROS PER DAY. 1 LITRE OF PETROL 1 EURO.IF YOUR ROOMS ARE ALREADY PAID I THINK MORE FROM 1.000 EUROS YOU'LL NEED IF YOU RENT A CAR FOR 2 WEEKS. LAST YEAR AT CRETE I SPEND FOR A WEEK (INCLUDING THE HIRE AND THE PETROL OF THE CAR FOR A WEEK) 1.000 EUROS. AND DON'T FORGET I'M TALKING ABOUT EURO NOT DOLLAR. 1 EURO=1,2 DOLLAR.
    BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO CARRY TO MUCH CASH WITH YOU. IF YOU HAVE A BANK ACOOUNT IN YOUR COUNTRY YOU CAN USE A CASH OR VISA CARD AT THE ATM AND GET ALL THE MONEY YOU NEED. ASK YOUR BANK.

HAVE NICE HOLIDAYS..........

• StefanosS's Profile Photo

by StefanosS Online Now Jun 17, 2006 at 5:03 AM

12 to 15 euros per meal (a good meal) per person in an avarage restaurant, including salad and a beer. Remember, fish is usually more expensive. Go to the restaurants with many Greek customers, this is a rough guide for good prices and good quality. But you can always find cheaper solutions. In an open-air night bar a beer can cost about 3-5 euros and some cocktails can reach even more than double price. A vehicle for touring around in Lesvos is advisable, there are so many places to visit around, but in some cases can be also a motor-bike (e.g. for going from Petra to Molyvos). Prices for car-rental will be high, as you will be there in high-season. Sorry, difficult to estimate cost.
    Stefanos

• nickandchris's Profile Photo

by nickandchris Online Now Jun 17, 2006 at 9:25 AM

Try www.pangosmio.gr for car hire. They seem to be nationwide in Greece. We have had good deals from them.
    This year, in the Peloponnese, we paid on average 2 euros for a beer, bread 60 cents, a basic room in May was 35 euros. It all depends on your standards. If you don't drink at fancy cocktail bars then drinks are much less.
    On average, cooked meat dishes like stiffado were around 8 euros. Chips 2 euros.I could go on........

• RE: RE: Cost of living

by Dixie06 Online Now Jun 19, 2006 at 6:31 AM

Many thanks for all your replies. Just to clarify we already have rooms booked and paid for through First Choice and any car hire we will be pay by credit card. The £1,000 is just for food and drinks. Also we like to visit more traditional greek bars not fancy cocktail bars or night clubs. A night out would consist of a meal and then a few drinks at, hopefully, a nice traditional greek bar. We are not into karoke, or English bars. I hope there are traditional bars in Petra and it is not full of touristy bars.

• StefanosS's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Cost of living

by StefanosS Online Now Jun 20, 2006 at 2:16 AM

Don't worry, your money is enough for having a good time on Lesvos island. I want only to make a correction: there are no "traditional" Greek bars.
    The traditional eateries-drinkeries in Greece are:
    A Tavern, offering meal and local drinks, like wine, beer, ouzo (known also as "anisado" in Spanish-speaking countries).
    A fish-Tavern is the same, but food is limited into fish and sea-food.
    An Ouzerie is serving mainly ouzo and a variety of apetizers. Sometimes the apetizers can be so many that can be used as the main meal.
    A Kafeneio is the traditional coffee-shop, where some people are playing also backgammon or cards. They usually serve also tea, some sweets, or ouzo but the apetizers are limited both in variety and quantity.
    Some very old taverns, with their own wine-barrels, may serve only wine and nothing else, but this kind is now very rare to find.
    You will find any kind of eateries and bars in Petra, and all of them are now incorporated in the present Greek way of living - but they are not "traditional".
    Have a nice travel
    Stefanos

• bluetang's Profile Photo

by bluetang Online Now Jul 4, 2006 at 5:39 AM

Hi Dixie, if you visit Petra, don't forget to drop off the Grill House To Steki. Don't go by all means to the grill house which is opposite to it, the guy is a rubbish dirt, who was almost would close by the Hygiene Authorities due to rotten meat.

Tell them you come from Aphroditi. Excellent traditional food, about 10 euros/person with salad and drink.

Don't forget to post your impressions after you return. Have a nice trip.

Oh by the way, if you go to Molyvos, go also to Congas, a perfect by the beach open bar/club. Go preferably on Saturday if you want to see a lot of people and in afternoons for relaxation and backgammon.

I am from Petra so anything you want just ask. Would love to help you.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines