Lesotho Travel Answers

change location

Advice on Johanesburg - lesotho-Swaziland Trip

by themask Online Now Jul 19, 2011 at 11:23 PM

I am finalising my travel trip on South Africa -Lesotho -Swaziland. I have applied for a Visa for Lesotho and South Africa, but the Swaziland can be only apply on Embassy Swaziland located on Pretoria, South Africa. I have booked a Ticket on bangkok-Johhanesburg - Lesotho - JohhanesBurg - Bangkok. With a plan to apply for visa in pretoria. My question is, how far is Johannesburg Inl't Airport to Pretoria? Do I need to travel by land or by air? The embassy address is Arcadia, Pretoria ( 715 cnr. Blackwood and Government Avenue ). Thank you in advance for your reply.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Advice on Johanesburg - lesotho-Swaziland Trip

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Jul 20, 2011 at 5:44 AM

Pretoria is a city about 50 or so north-east of Jo'burg. I can't make any comments on local transport as we got there by car, and this was quite a few years ago now. If I remmeber correctly, the international airport is also on the north-east side of the city.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Jul 20, 2011 at 8:55 AM

Hi
    Glad that you took the advice to check with the embassies, as the internet-based info for the smaller embassies is often unreliable!
    Johannesburg and Pretoria are about 60km apart - OR Tambo is east of Johannesburg, so the distance to Arcadia is probably about 70km.
    When are you arriving? The reason I ask is that the second phase of the Gautrain high speed rail link is due to be commissioned by the end of the month (July 2011). This will get you from OR Tambo to Pretoria Central in less than an hour (changing in Sandton, which just means going up an escalator to another platform) and is a very plesant, comfortable experience. Have a look at my Johannesburg page under travel tips for more info on Gautrain including fares and a ├║sers guide to OR Tambo.
    From there, you can catch a taxi to Arcadia (too far to walk, especially if you have luggage and are unfamiliar with the city). There are shuttle buses that connect with Gautrain, but I recall that the Pretoria one doesn't go that far east into the suburbs.
    Just be very careful to confirm the opening hours, as these are often much more restricted than you would expect (usually they are only open in the morning).
    If you're arriving before this phase of Gautrain is commissioned, then the most practical option is to catch a taxi - let me know if you'd like the contact details of an excellent guy that we've been using for business for several years now. Unless you're feeling really brave and are up to hiring a car, although falling off a long haul flight and driving in a strange country doesn't seem like a very wise plan.
    Thinking ahead, presumably if you have to apply for the visa in Pretoria, they won't issue it on the spot? In which case you'll have to make a plan to collect it once it's been issued. To save you a return trip (unless you have time to kill and/or really want to visit Pretoria again), check to see if your office here - since you mentioned you had one - has a messenger who could collect it on your behalf (which is quite common here), or otherwise, whether they could arrange for a courier. Then just check with the Swazis when you make the initial application to see if someone can collect it on your behalf (provided that you issue them with a letter of authorisation).
    Regards
    Cathy

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Jul 21, 2011 at 4:49 AM

Hi
    Just checked, and the Gautrain bus doesn't go close enough to Arcadia to be of much use to you.
    One other thought: if your company has a messenger, then presumably he has transport to get around? Messengers on motorbikes aren't particularly common here, so perhaps it's worth checking to see if your company has a messenger, and, if so, whether he has a car and could act as your driver to and from Pretoria?
    Regards
    Cathy

• Re: Advice on Johanesburg - lesotho-Swaziland Trip

by themask Online Now Aug 5, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Thanks catherine, you really mastered South Africa. Your suggestion really help a lot.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Lesotho Travel Answer Locations