Lerwick Travel Answers

change location

Jarlshof ruins

by rasybanks Online Now May 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM

We will be in Lerwick for one day with a cruise ship. We would like to visit the ruins but at the moment the tours are book.
Is there a local tour company that we can contact to give us a tour of these ruins? And if so what is the timing and cost?
Thanks

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Jarlshof ruins

by leics Online Now May 16, 2011 at 10:47 PM

There are local tour guides whom you could contact, yes.

This page lists local guides:

island-trails.co.uk/tours.ht...

and also

http://www.seeshetland.shetland.co.uk/

and

shetlandtours.co.uk/tours/to...

Jarlshof will not take up all of your day's visit (although superb it is not a large site) so you may wish to include other areas of the island with a guide.

Alternatively, you could just take the bus. Jarlshof is very near Sumburgh Airport and bus 6 runs from Lerwick. Timetables here:

zettrans.org.uk/bus/SouthMai...

Although it is not a very frequent service you should be able to work out timings to suit. Get off at the Sumburgh Hotel Gate stop; I believe the Jarlshof entrance is next to the hotel. You can simply ask the driver to tell you when to get off anyway; he/she will do so.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • KakapoTheParrot's Profile Photo

Re: Jarlshof ruins

by KakapoTheParrot Online Now May 17, 2011 at 2:18 AM

My favorite bit of Mainland is Esha Ness. It's a bit more out of the way, but if you have time (and the weather is good) I'd really recommend a visit. Getting there by public transport is not easy, but if you're looking at local tours you should be in luck.

The other option I liked, which will take a lot less time, is just to go across to Bressay for a walk. A wander around Lerwick and a walk on Bressay is a good day in itself.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Lerwick