Travel Answers
Leith

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• MrMartin's Profile Photo

How could 14 students (15 - 17 years) from Liechtenstein get in contact with locals?

Edinburgh Jun 19, 2014 at 2:05 AM

We will stay from 23.- 30. June in Edinburgh. It would be nice to have a small sightseeing tour or interessting contact to locals for my 14 students. The goals are: To learn from another culture (even it it is not so different to the Liechtenstein one :-) and to speak English... Do you have some ideas? (We stay in the citycenter of Edinburgh, Cowgate)

more
    • London train

Edinburgh Jun 19, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Hi everyone!!To go from Edinburgh to London by train making a overnight stop in York, do I have to buy separate tickets for each stop or only one to London and just get off in York and board again the next day? Thanks!!

more
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Day trips from Edinburgh

Edinburgh Jun 16, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I'm heading to Edinburgh for 5 days prior to heading on to England and Scotland in mid August. I've been to Edinburgh a couple of times so I've seen most of the sights there, however, I'll be there during a whole pile of festivals including the Fringe festival so I still need to do some research on that Here's what I've got as my tentative plan, I've already purchased a historic Scotland pass (3 days out of 4 consecutive days) that includes a lot on my list:

Day 1 arrive 7:45am after overnight flight, check in, spend some time in Edinburgh
      Day 2 Stirling Castle, Doune Castle (Monty Python)-both on Pass
      Day 3 Possible daytrip to see some other part of Scotland
      Day 4 Linlithgow Castle, Blackness Castle-both on Pass
      Day 5 Craigmillar Castle, Edinburgh Castle-both on Pass, leave 6pm for Manchester

It's been suggested that I can also see Linlithgow on the Stirling day, by a local, since they are in the same general direction, the train ticket appears to allow breaks in the journey so I'll play by ear. If I do that, then Blackness will probably get chopped and I might just stay in Edinburgh

For day 3, I was looking at a couple of companies, Rabbies and Timberbush and they both have Loch Ness trips, one includes Uruqhart, one doesn't, about the same price, the Uruqhart trip is 1/2 hour longer, 12 hours vs. 12 1/2 hours. I understand that it's a long way each direction, 3 hours or so, they both go by Rannoch Moor, Glencoe, Fort Augustus, spend approx. 2 hours at Loch Ness including an optional boat trip, Grampian mountains and a stop at Pitlochry. Thoughts? People seem to love the companies but then I'm reading a lot about Loch Ness and that it's not all that (Loch Ness monster sightings not withstanding). The closer Loch tours all include one of the castles I was planning on seeing on my own, I guess I could do the Loch Lomond tour and see the town of Stirling while everyone else toured the castle. Or delete Stirling Castle from day 2 and see something else. Less driving, is that Loch more scenic?

more