Leipzig Travel Answers

change location
Poroshin's Profile Photo

Compare local tran or taxi ?

by Poroshin Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Hi everybody !

Who can compare the cost of arriving from center of Leipzig by usual local train (for 2 persons) and taxi?

In the site DB such information is absent - "fares not available". I need to know average values..:-)

Thank you in advance..

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • Bernd_L's Profile Photo

Re: Compare local tran or taxi ?

by Bernd_L Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Cost depends on how far you want to go. So I'm not able to give you detailed info on that. But using local transport is in any way cheaper than a taxi, even if you are 2 persons.

A taxi would be the reasonable means of transport if you want to go to remote places that are not served well by public transport. Or if you want to go late at night when there are no buses or trams any more.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 11:16 PM

If you tell us where you will be starting from it will help people to advise you. It is unusual not to see fares on the excellent bahn.de unless you are looking for dates too far in advance or for an international service.

Like Bernd I would be very surprised indeed if a taxi were cheaper than public transport, even for 2 people.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 11:46 PM

If you don't see fares on the Bahn website, your trip is either international, or within a regional public transport network (Verkehrsverbund) - I assume the latter.

Is that Leipzig to Chemnitz, or what and where?

Leipzig's public transport network has a website but the English version has no content, hence of no use to you. But you'll have to tell us from where to where you want to go, otherwise we cannot look up the fares. As a rule of thumb, though, public transport costs a fraction of the taxi fare. Taxis are by far the most expensive means of transport, and nobody would even consider using them from city to city unless there are serious reasons like walking difficulties combined with a well-filled purse.

• Poroshin's Profile Photo

by Poroshin Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Agree with you..but I have a WIFE..:-) I need to get airport Hale from center of the town.

Be the first to rate this answer!

by Poroshin Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Kathrin_E wrote:

If you don't see fares on the Bahn website, your trip is either international, or within a regional public transport network (Verkehrsverbund) - I assume the latter.

Is that Leipzig to Chemnitz, or what and where?

Sorry. I've missed part of the text. I need to get  'Halle Airport'from the center of the town. In Google I found that it costs  about 14 euro in taxi and no any information about price from DB, may be ~ 7-8 euro for 2 person, right?

Leipzig's public transport network has a website but the English version has no content, hence of no use to you.

Alas :-((

But you'll have to tell us from where to where you want to go, otherwise we cannot look up the fares. As a rule of thumb, though, public transport costs a fraction of the taxi fare.

I think so too, but I'll have a luggage+WIFE..

That's why I'm asking..

Taxis are by far the most expensive means of transport, and nobody would even consider using them from city to city unless there are serious reasons like walking difficulties combined with a well-filled purse.

I believe I'll manage but anyway want to know something in advance...

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Leipzig to Leipzig/Halle Airport is EUR 4,00 per person. No matter from which train station or tram or bus stop you start in Leipzig. The RE trains from Leipzig Hbf to the airport need 14 minutes. Note that the IC trains on this route are not covered by this ticket.

By taxi you have to calculate 35 minutes from central Leipzig to the airport. Approx. EUR 40.

by Poroshin Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:09 AM

abalada wrote: Leipzig to Leipzig/Halle Airport is EUR 4,00 per person. No matter from which train station or tram or bus stop you start in Leipzig. The RE trains from Leipzig Hbf to the airport need 14 minutes. Note that the IC trains on this route are not covered by this ticket.

By taxi you have to calculate 35 minutes from central Leipzig to the airport. Approx. EUR 40.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH ! Very FULL reply !

by Poroshin Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Thank you. I've received reply on my question already. So, gess know all..

• Bernd_L's Profile Photo

by Bernd_L Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 10:24 PM

In case you have a lot of heavy baggage ( I learn that you travel with a wife ;o))) then going by train could be a bit uncomfortable. But there are some airport shuttle companies. They pick you up at your hotel and bring you to the airport. They are more expensive than the train but cheaper than a taxi. I'm sure your hotel reception staff can help you with that.

by Poroshin Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I think so too. Thanks for reply..

• Re: Compare local tran or taxi ?

by donnadoo Online Now Oct 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM

what and how much is a day tour of Dresden?
    what about Sunday's?

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Oct 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Donnadoo, it would be better if you asked your question in the Dresden travel forum here:

Dresden Travel Forum

This is the Leipzig travel forum (Leipzig is more than 100 km from Dresden) and only the people who have already replied to the question about Leipzig are likely to see your question on this thread.

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Oct 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM

If you mean getting to Dresden by train from Leipzig then simply look at the official German railway website in English:

bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/...

It will give you train times, details and fares.. for Sundays as well as weekdays.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines