Leiden Travel Answers

change location

about leiden

by anniewied Online Now Feb 13, 2006 at 11:44 PM

I am a student from Santa Cruz, California, that is considering doing a field study for my major in Leiden. I know absolutely nothing about the area, where it is near, what language is spoken, etc (wow I feel so ignorant). However I am interested in working for the WMDA which is located there. Could someone please let me know a bit about the city and such? Are the people friendly? Would you recommend living there for 6 months? I have never been to Europe at all, but would love to spend my field study in a completely new environment!

I can be emailed at awiedera@ucsc.edu.

Thank you very much,

Annie

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • blanter's Profile Photo

RE: about leiden

by blanter Online Now Feb 14, 2006 at 5:08 AM

The language spoken is Dutch. NL is actually one of the European countries most friendly to an American student, since almost everybody speaks English on a basic level. Leiden is a typical Dutch city, wich canals, brick houses and such. There is a lot of info here at VT, just search. Amsterdam whaich has a lot of attractions is 30 minutes by train.

The question whether you must go there for 6 month is complex and can not really be addressed in general, but in principle the accomodation would be easier for you in Holland or Nordic countries than say France or Italy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

RE: RE: about leiden

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 14, 2006 at 8:58 AM

Leiden is one of the older smaller Dutch cities.
    We speak Dutch , but most Dutchies understand and speaks English too.
    At the University you won't have any trouble with language.
    People are friendly and in nearby The Hague there's a big International community with a lot of your fellow countrymen.
    There's an American Women's Club of the Hague.
    check out the following websites:
    http://www.fawco.org
    http://www.holland.com/us/

Leiden Travel Guide

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines