Leiden Travel Answers

change location
vegee's Profile Photo

part time job and dutch language

by vegee Online Now May 2, 2005 at 1:35 AM

hi,
i'm going to study in leiden univ this sept 2005 as a graduate student.
my question is, can a student with visa student apply for a partime job in leiden? if it's possible, wat kind of jobs are available for student?

do i have to speak dutch ? Or if i can speak dutch, will it make me easier to find job there?

thanks....

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Nathalie_B's Profile Photo

RE: part time job and dutch language

by Nathalie_B Online Now May 2, 2005 at 2:15 PM

I wouldn't want to ruin your expectations but being a foreign student myself I can tell you that your chances to get a good job are null. Especially because you don't speak Dutch. Going to the employment agencies won't help.
    If you're not picky then try the agency called "Recruit a Student". So far they are the only ones who help international students. They will apply for your working permit as well.
    Bear in mind that you won't be able to apply for the social security number before you get your MVV (residence permit) this means that you'll have to wait about 2-3 months after you arrived here.

As for what Marcel said about 10 hours per week or 3 months a year, it is true but... If you overwork a bit nobody will say anything. You just must keep in mind that you are not allowed to make more than 10,000 per year.

Nathalie

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines