Leh Travel Answers

change location

Seven in Heaven

by nirajv Online Now May 11, 2007 at 6:30 AM

Seven of us intend to enter via Srinagar- Kargil.
Total trip time 16 days Srinagar to Delhi

From Kargil move in to the Zanskar range via Padum. Do river rafting
else do a Jeep safari in Zanskar then reach Leh where we can do a
simple one day river rafting Grade I-II. Go visit the highest
motorable road (kardung La), Nubra valley , highest lake (Pangong) and ofcourse the prestine monastries.

Return from Leh via Jispa to Manali. If poss bike it.

A. How is river rafting in Zanskar- whom do i contact for the same besides(travel-himalayas.com ), how would you rate them
OR
B. should we change our itineary to fly in directly to Leh in lieu of going to Srinagar and driving down through Kargil ? Then go for a trek around Nubra Valley/ Markha/ 10 day Spituk to Hemis Trek.
OR
C. Should we continue from Srinagar- to - Kargil. The set out a trek to Zanskar Valley for 7 days. Reach Leh after the Trek ?
D.As i understand from you earlier posting you mention it is easier to find deals once you reach Leh. IN case we are coming in from Srinagar - Kargil side- What do you recommend we do. Come all the way to Leh and then find a deal for treks ?
e. Wangchuk you mentioned some agencies in Leh give motorbike mostly Enfield Bike on hire on per day basis. Could you elaborate on the cost ? Can we drive down Manali using this and hand over the Bikes to the their Manali office ? Is 4/ 5 bikes between 7 of us enough (as two in the team cannot drive bikes )
f. Is Leh crowded in August ? We intend to skip locations which ever are too crowded.
g. Trust august 10th - 26th 2007 is a good time to pay a visit to Heaven.

request you replies esp Angchuk, Wangchuk, sacs2k1

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • ladagspa's Profile Photo

Re: Seven in Heaven

by ladagspa Online Now May 18, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Hi
    I agree August is the best time to visit Leh. And by mid august the tourist count gets thinner and thinner. I suggest you do the Manali to Leh, then Nubra, Lakes and trek to Padum and then Jeep to Srinagar and ahead. you get the best deal for trekking while talking and negotiating with few agents. But you have to be very careful to fall trap to a very low budget trek, as the budget is low, you will end up eating just dal and rice for the whole trek. It is a fact that cheap trek means cheap service. Its like say travelling by Jet Airways or by Air Deccan. You get to the deatination but the whole experience is different.

Will let you know about rafting from Zanskar. 1 Day Rafting in Leh is fun not many rapids. Group of seven will be a good company to enjoy the day excursion anyway.

Usually the Bike in Leh are for rent in Ladakh region, I donot have much idea about taking them to Manali. Hiring them for trip to say Khardungla, Pangong will be a nice experience.

HTH
    Angchuk

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines