Lecce Travel Answers

change location

lecce accomodations

by rozusa Online Now Jun 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM

68 year old female from USA travelling alone end of October. Looking at Hotel Torre Del Parco Castle. Any comments or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Roz

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: lecce accomodations

by Beausoleil Online Now Jun 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I see no one has answered you yet. Have you looked for reviews on Trip Advisor? It is a sister site to Virtual Tourist and usually has excellent reviews. There are also reviews of many hotels, etc. on booking.com.

http://www.tripadvisor.com
    http://www.booking.com

Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Jun 30, 2011 at 11:19 PM

No personal experience of this hotel but the reviews on booking.com are entirely reliable, as they can *only* be posted by people who have booked through the site and completed their stay:

booking.com/hotel/it/torre-d...

• Re: lecce accomodations

by rozusa Online Now Jul 1, 2011 at 11:57 AM

thanks so much for your help.
    Roz usa

by rozusa Online Now Jul 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM

thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
    Roz USA

• travelnut71's Profile Photo

by travelnut71 Online Now Jul 18, 2011 at 8:13 PM

I'd like to add that in Lecce, if you stay in the city walls, old part, it's impossible to find parking and you have to leave your car in a parking lot somewhere outside of this. I am not sure where this hotel is, just make sure in advance, if you do have a car. Some structures in Lecce are quite run down. A warning.. the tourist office, they aim to sell things to you, sometimes to rip you off.. maps they charge for.. I have no problem with that.. but when you ask help to book a hotel, they call up some friends and have them put up a room for you, even as a couple, I didn't feel safe and comfortable doing this. Some areas in Puglia are known for petty crimes, like theft. You need to be careful when asking for help in Puglia, beware of people's intentions. Those who work in tourism and even shops, are out to get you. Bargain as much as possible and if the price they offer you seems more expensive than anywhere else in Italy, leave, this area is supposed to be less pricey. Booking does offer good reviews. Venere.com is another site you can check. Check if hotel is on traveleurope.it and also check if it exists in expedia. Good luck! pS the desserts and ice-cream are a must in this area!

by eskoriko Online Now Nov 17, 2011 at 7:11 AM

Hi,

i am from Gallipoli, in Lecce Province. And this area is named Salento. One of the most beautiful region in Italy and in the south of Italy. Better than a lot of cities of the north. And for the beauty of the sea and the aristocratic places, for monuments for historic places, for nature, for people!! for culture, for kitchen.. the best oil of Italy comes from Salento!! Very taste wines, and we have the roseè wine, and is not a mix of red and white, as happen in good place like Tuscany or Emilia Romagna.

So i want to reply to the message of travelnut71, becasue is totally NOT true about the life in Lecce, and a lot of tourists can prove it, and if Lecce and the region Salento was the first region for the holiday in the summer period means something, or not!?!?!?
    So:

"I'd like to add that in Lecce, if you stay in the city walls, old part, it's impossible to find parking and you have to leave your car in a parking lot somewhere outside of this. I am not sure where this hotel is, just make sure in advance, if you do have a car. Some structures in Lecce are quite run down" travelnut71

NOT TRUE.. people can find a lot of free parking outside the ancient-city, and any good city like Florence, Venice, Rome has parking...

. A warning.. the tourist office, they aim to sell things to you, sometimes to rip you off.. maps they charge for.. I have no problem with that.. but when you ask help to book a hotel, they call up some friends and have them put up a room for you, even as a couple, I didn't feel safe and comfortable doing this. travelnut71

NOT TRUE, we respect tourist and we not need to sell something to them because for us is already a gift if people come in our unknow place, so why we have to sell something to them..

Some areas in Puglia are known for petty crimes, like theft. You need to be careful when asking for help in Puglia, beware of people's intentions. travelnut71

NOT TRUE, the area of Salento is one of the low crime in the south and in Italy. The north Italy is full of immigrants people from east europe, Salento is a very clear region where crime is just a dream.. In Rimini..north Italy thiefs steal me bicycle..bags..adapter fo mobile phone.. even the seat of bicycle!!! come on!! north is not free of crime.. Salento despite is really really good, and mostly good People!! About Puglia, that it the total Region is different becasue the other provinces are different from us, and you listen to area of Bari, Foggia..yes these areas are not so quite aboute crime, but now also in this area is going to became all good. So not true what you say.

Those who work in tourism and even shops, are out to get you. Bargain as much as possible and if the price they offer you seems more expensive than anywhere else in Italy, leave, this area is supposed to be less pricey. Booking does offer good reviews. Venere.com is another site you can check. Check if hotel is on traveleurope.it and also check if it exists in expedia. travelnut71

NOT TRUE, Lecce and province is one of the less expensive places to stay, infact this province is full of families becasue this crises period is hard to stay in in high cities of the north... and than if something is expensive is becasue the region has unique e particular services to offer, becasue just the sea is like crystal!!! The nature is nice becasue wasn't made from MEN!!!!

Good luck! pS the desserts and ice-cream are a must in this area! travelnut71

I'M agree with the dessert but as i said before, oil is the best, bread is wanderful, vegetables, and fish are fresh... but meat is not so tasty, by the way all in Salento, Lecce, Gallipoli is all lovely, from Food, People, Nature, safe life..what else!!!!
    and if you want to know better is not me that suggest Lecce but even LonelyPlanet in the TOP TEN of 2010 in the WORLD!!!
    europeupclose.com/article/le...

bbye!!

• leics's Profile Photo

by leics Online Now Nov 17, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Welcome to VT, eskoriko. Thank you for your information (I hope to visit this area at some point in the future).

When it comes to replies on the VT forums it's not usually a matter of 'truth' or 'untruth' but of opinions and personal experiences. Travelnut has her opinions, formed from her experiences, and you have yours. And that's absolutely fine.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Nov 17, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Welcome to Virtual Tourist (VT). I agree with leics. We all have different experiences and so we all have different opinions. We visited Lecce and had a wonderful time. We didn't stay there; we stayed near Otranto, but truly enjoyed the area.

Since this was posted last July, I suspect the original poster has already completed her trip . . . and I hope it went well.

Thanks for your contribution.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines