Leavenworth Travel Answers

change location

Transport

by sue.norvill Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 9:10 PM

We are visiting Leavenworth for Christmas 2010. 4 adults 2 children
We are considering catching a bus to Leavenworth which stops at the Icicle Village.
Does anyone know if it is possible to arrange local car hire for the 5 days we are in Leavenworth?
If no car hire, what are your recommendations regarding getting there and transport options whilst we are there?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

Re: Transport

by mccalpin Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Are you asking if you can rent a car once you are in Leavenworth? The Chamber of Commerce website doesn't list any car rental places, and a quick look at several car rental company websites shows that the closest offices for anyone (Hertz and Budget, as I recall) seem to be at the airport at Wenatchee, 25 miles away.

How are you getting the Washington? Flying to Seattle? It looks like it would be a better idea to pick the car up there, or is there something I don't understand about your trip?

Bill

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Transport

by sue.norvill Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Thankyou for your reply,
    We are flying into Seattle, then considering catching a Trailways Bus which I believe stops at The Icicle Village. We thought about the train but the times it runs do not suit us.
    We have accommodation organised in Leavenworth if we catch the bus, we then have to organise transport in and around Leavenworth.
    Maybe it would be better to consider car hire from Seattle

• glabah's Profile Photo

Re: Transport

by glabah Online Now Aug 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM

A friend and I went up there last year, and found the lodging cheaper in Wenatchee, and also the crowds in Leavenworth got to us after a while, so we spent some relaxing time there.

So, going all the way through and renting a car in Wenatchee may not be the worst option.

The problem with renting a car in Seattle (if that is your arrival city) is that you may have to put on tire chains that time of year to get over the hill to Leavenworth. Some rental places have those and will rent them to you at an extra daily rate, and some will even refund that if they don't get used.

Your transport options while up there depend a bit on what you are planning to do once you get up there. They have a public transit system that runs through Leavenworth as well as connecting to Wenatchee and a few other places. However, if you are spending 5 days there I assume you will be wanting to explore the entire area, do some skiing or snow shoeing, or some other thing that will require that you get beyond the range of the transit system.

The transit system up there is Link:
    http://www.linktransit.com/
    There are several routes and one reservation flex-route bus line serving Leavenworth. There is bus route 22 (which actually is a Leavenworth to Wenatchee route, but runs within Leavenworth):
    linktransit.com/routes-maps/...
    (note that there is no service on Sundays, and only some trips operate on Saturdays)
    There is route 32, which is called a "trolley" as it uses a bus shaped somewhat like a streetcar:
    However, that operates only within Leavenworth, and you will find the city is small enough you can get around pretty much anywhere by walking.
    The information on the flexible route transit system is here:
    but it really is designed for local residents and reservations must be made a day in advance.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines