Le Cap d'Agde Travel Answers

change location

Driving from Calais to Cap d'Agde

by beanyboy Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Has anyone got any thoughts on an 80 year old driving from Calais to Cap d'Agde.

Qui c'est moi ! I might add that I have done it for 15 years. Am an Associate Member of the IAM and have ben accident free for as long as I can remember.....but because someone has mentioned that they think I'm too old, it has given me seeds of doubt but nothing more I feel, than a bit of psychological loss of nerve which I am hoping will be supported out there by anyone suitably enlightned and who would care to give me their views.

Thanks in advance

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Re: Driving from Calais to Cap d'Agde

by pfsmalo Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Why worry about what others think. If you think you're up for it then go for it. It is a long drive though and I would recommend you do make a stop somewhere for a night just for a break. You've got motorways almost the whole way so there's not really a concern for losing your way, just make sure you rest when you feel the need. Good luck with the drive.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Driving from Calais to Cap d'Agde

by beanyboy Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Yes thanks very much PSFMalo, you make a good point of course and becuase we have done it before many times, your advice is sound and is indeed what we do.
    My point was on reaching the milestone of 80 which I do on Sunday.

I dont feel any different but it seems to be the sort of age when a lot people think that you are past it.

I thank you for your advice and will endeavour to get over my hang up about those others who seem to have some as well.

Thanks again

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Just for your info, my father-in-law was still driving in Paris at the age of 83 a couple of weeks before he passed away, so you've a bit to do yet. First off stay happy and you'll be ok, oh and have a great day on Sunday.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

exactly, its up to you,not others. I love driving all over Europe, my father is 78 and he drives all over along in France. You think you can do , then you will.

Driving is best way to travel, take it from the road warrior, take your rests every 2-3 hrs, and in summer carry plenty of water with you and go for it
    Cheers

by alfred_the_great Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Thanks for your post because I have been researching driving in France and now see that from 1st July this year all drivers it will be compulsory for drivers of all motor vehicles including motorcyclists, excluding mopeds to carry a breathalyser in their vehicle while travelling in France. This will not be enforced until the 1st November 2012, where persons failing to produce a breathalyser will receive a fine on the spot of €11.
    (Not such a bad fine if you forget it !)

And also what is new. You can buy as a UK driver an automatic telepeage tag so instead of fumbling for some money in the cash queue you can cruise through the Toll in the pre paid TELEPEAGE queue and they grab your Toll fee automatically !
    https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

So that may be a great idea ?

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM

yes another rule but wont change driving in France. Just a burocratic redtape to buy the mouth piece.
    here we have Liber-T to bypass tolls, but even I who spend a great deal of time on the road dont buy it, my debit card whisper me thru the lanes pretty fast.
    but its an option.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

by pedroswift Online Now Jun 1, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Think positive(ly). You can say to yourself , "I have more experience than most other people on this road". Happy Trails.

by beanyboy Online Now Mar 29, 2014 at 4:13 AM

Although I have just posted another question I thought I would come back on this just in case it would attract a response.

Having been told by "Mrs Beanyboy" that even though she has faith in my driving , she has been absolutely bored to distraction with the long journey every year and want to go by another means. Which means hiring a car down there.
    Am I going to be up against it to hire a car being a geratric ? Any advice "based on experience " would be greatly appreciated

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Mar 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM

well my father has a pharmacy full of medicines here and he is 78, drives all over even from Paris to Vannes. Of course, do not know your conditions, but its doable.
    cheers

by beanyboy Online Now Mar 29, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Much appreciate your reply gwenned , thanks

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines