Lauterbrunnen Travel Answers

change location
bertsirkin's Profile Photo

Clothing for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn

by bertsirkin Online Now Apr 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM

We're going to be visiting the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn in early June, but most of our trip will be in warmer parts of Italy. We're not planning on packing any heavy clothes, but suspect we'll need them for the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. Does anyone know how cold it gets in these locations and if there's any way to "rent" warm clothing?

thanks,
bert

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Agraichen's Profile Photo

Re: Clothing for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn

by Agraichen Online Now Apr 24, 2010 at 2:39 PM

It's been a few years but I recall skiing the Jungfrau in August in my shirtsleeves. Granted that's a couple months later, but it was quite cold (below 30 F) inside the mountain train station. Check their web site for weather conditions jungfrau.ch/en/DesktopDefaul... or mors specifically jungfrau.ch/en/desktopdefaul... periodically before your trip.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Apr 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM

You should be packing a jacket of some description anyway, preferably something waterproof. You'll need to have it wherever you go, not just for the mountains. At that time of year, it will probably be enough to keep you warm and dry on the mountains. If you're really concerned, maybe some thermal underwear in the suitcase won't take up too much room or weigh too heavy. The weather can be so changeable anywhere in the world these days and it pays to be prepared.

• bertsirkin's Profile Photo

by bertsirkin Online Now Apr 25, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Thanks for the responses - we're planning only "carry-on" bags and small back-packs for the air-travel, so there isn't a lot of room for heavy clothes, although we will be bringing a light sweater and coat. Unfortunately, my wife will require a heavy coat and I think that "renting" it would be the ideal situation.

bert

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Apr 26, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Your best bet for "renting" clothes or a jacket would be to try and contact your hotel and see what they can recommend for you. If you are going up to Schilthorn here is a link to a video I took on our trip up to Schilthorn from Lauterbrunnen back in October, 2008. Have fun

youtube.com/watch?v=suAabbCK...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines