Lauterbrunnen Travel Answers

change location
Maestro232's Profile Photo

Should I get a regional pass with half-fare card?

by Maestro232 Online Now Jul 31, 2008 at 7:51 AM

Hello,

My wife and I will be in Switzerland and will have purchased a half fare card. We will also be in Lauterbrunnen for a few days and want to do Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Schynige Platte, etc..., and we're not sure if it's worth it to get a regional pass as well. Considering many of those "special" journeys have supplemental costs even with the regional passes, I'm not sure it's worth my while if I already have a half fare card. Can anyone offer advice?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • kathymof's Profile Photo

Re: Should I get a regional pass with half-fare card?

by kathymof Online Now Jul 31, 2008 at 9:46 AM

I was there in 2006 and ran the numbers. It was close to a wash but I did not do Schilthorn. With that added in you might save yourself a little money but your really do need to use it to make it worth it. I am surprised the BOB pass has supplemental costs. There is a young woman who worked at the ticket counter in the Lauterbrunnen train station who was EXTREMELY helpful to me - if she is still there, and not burned out, she will be the same for you. She speaks perfect English. By the time I realized there was the BOB pass, it was too late to take advantage of it. I was using a Swiss Card and already had 50% off. Put Schynige Platte low on your list of things to do. It is a nice excursion but the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn will be far more exciting. I loved the Jungfrau.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Maestro232's Profile Photo

by Maestro232 Online Now Jul 31, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Thank you for that advice. That was truly helpful.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo

by sandysmith Online Now Aug 1, 2008 at 10:02 AM

I regularly get asked this kind of question in the Bernese Oberland region - which pass should I buy or not buy if already have half price card. The only answer is to work out the sums by calculating the fares for the journey you wish to make.

Use the following website link to find the individual fares - on the left hand side navigation links you have option of selecting which resort you are from:

jungfraubahn.ch/en/desktopde...
    Consider Bernese Obeland pass vs Jungfrau Pass
    The Bernese Obeland Pass is more epensive but covers wider areas such as Brienz Rothorn and as afar as Kandersteg - you can use free days when you wish i the given period of 7 or 15 days. Still have to pay partial fees for Schilthorn and Jungraujoch

The Jungfrau Pass is less but is for consecutive days - does not cover Schilthorn though and half fare from last section of Jungfraujoch station.
    Its tedious but work out what you want to do, do you plan to stay fairly local or travel wider in the Bernese Obeland and pray for good weather!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Lauterbrunnen