Lausanne Travel Answers

change location
jmhenry1123's Profile Photo

Fun things to do in Lausanne and Ouchy

by jmhenry1123 Online Now Jul 28, 2006 at 12:11 PM

I will be in Lausanne and Ouchy in the middle of August (aug 14-18). Any suggestions on the features of this picturesque part of Switzerland?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • travelfrosch's Profile Photo

RE: Fun things to do in Lausanne and Ouchy

by travelfrosch Online Now Jul 28, 2006 at 5:08 PM

On a cloudy day, I would recommend Chateau Chillon, a very nice lakeside castle just east of Montreux. Admission is free if you have a Swisspass!

On a clear day, you must head for the mountains. Consider Sion or Gstaad as starting points for a nice hike. If you get an early enough start, even Zermatt (Matterhorn!)is a possibility. To get here from Lausanne, take the train in the direction of Brig, and change for the BVZ train in Visp. The whole trip is covered by Swisspass. The trip from Visp to Zermatt is not covered with multi-country passes (e.g. Eurailpass, Selectpass, France and Switzerland Pass).

Have fun!

Mark

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • anne77's Profile Photo

RE: Fun things to do in Lausanne and Ouchy

by anne77 Online Now Aug 2, 2006 at 3:46 AM

Hi,

While in Lausanne, you should go to the old part of town, to the Cathedral. On a clear day, you will have a great view of the city and lake. Walk around down-town (not very big) and I would also go to the Olympic Museum (in Ouchy) or at least walk around the park.

Going to the Chateau de Chillon is a good idea, the view is also very nice. You could also take a boat ride, for example to Evian (France) or to Geneva and take the train back...?

Will you also be visiting other places in Switzerland?

Otherwise a trip to the Gruyère area is also worth it, not too far away (max 1 hour). So many options... Let me know what you are interested in, and it will be easier for me to help..

Have a nice day,

Anne

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines