Launceston Travel Answers

change location
volarevolare's Profile Photo

What to do with an afternoon in Launceston?

by volarevolare Online Now Feb 19, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Hi all,

Good day!

I'm wondering what's there to do with 2 hours left of daylight in Launceston in the late afternoon?

If I have 2 hours from 1600 -- 1800 (before it gets dark and it's time for dinner), what could I see/ do in Launceston?

Thanks for your suggestions! :)

smiles,
Francesca

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ettiewyn's Profile Photo

Re: What to do with an afternoon in Launceston?

by ettiewyn Online Now Feb 19, 2011 at 2:04 AM

The City Park is very nice to have a stroll, so I would go there, it is very pretty. There is also the Design Centre of Tasmania closeby which is all about art and crafts and shows beautiful furniture and other things made of Tasmanian wood. They also have a great shop. If you are interested in arts and love beautiful things, it's the place for you!

Charles Street is very nice as well, so I would have a snack there after seeing the park and the Design Centre :-) You can easily fit these activities into two hours.

Although, checking the website, I see that the Design Centre is only open until 2pm on weekends, you can only go there from monday til friday (then it's open until 5.30pm, so maybe go there first and then to the park).

This is the website: www.designcentre.com.au

I hope you have an additional day in Launceston so that you can visit Cataract Gorge?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • al2401's Profile Photo

by al2401 Online Now Feb 19, 2011 at 4:38 AM

I would suggest the City Gardens for a great walk or an early seafood dinner at the marina.

• volarevolare's Profile Photo

by volarevolare Online Now Feb 19, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Hi Ettiewyn,

Yes, we do have an additional day in Launceston.

We'd arrive in the afternoon from Melbourne on Day 1 in Launceston and then Day 2 will be in Launceston surrounds... still doing my research to see what we can see and do.

Will be going ahead with Itinerary 1 :)

smiles,
    Francesca

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 19, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I would just walk around in the city centre. There are narrow alleyways with beautiful old buildings, a romantic look, and shops are still open. So there is quite something to see on a leisurely walk.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines