Las Vegas Travel Answers

change location
9tigers's Profile Photo

if I am going to valley of the fire state park, do I still need to go red rock canyon?

by 9tigers Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

it seems similar, I just want to make sure I am not getting bored after I am seeing the red rock too much after state park

thanks!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Andraf's Profile Photo

Re: if I am going to valley of the fire state park, do I still need to go red rock canyon?

by Andraf Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 12:15 PM

They are somewhat similar, Valley of the Fire Being a lot more spectacular than Red Rock. So if you're short on time I would skip Red Rock.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Sevsa's Profile Photo

Re: if I am going to valley of the fire state park, do I still need to go red rock canyon?

by Sevsa Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM

They are both worth going to but as Andraf said if time is an issue skip Red Rock Canyon and go to Valley of Fire. However if you have very little time and are in Vegas go to Red Rock since it is so close to the city.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• peter216's Profile Photo

by peter216 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

No
    ..fire state park is 50 miles north of las vegas.

Red rock is west of the city in the desert...the oppositr directio

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I've photographed both and as indicated both have their attractions. If you're looking for some dramatic rock formations and hiking then just do Valley of Fire. It can easily take an entire day to explore the entire site.

Red Rock Canyon is a short 11-13 mile (one way) loop. Once you start you must continue to the end. There are some very picturesque locations and some great hiking, but Valley of Fire is the better choice IMO.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Mar 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM

While they both have red rock that is where the similarity ends. Valley of Fire State Park has a combination of interesting trails, petroglyphs, stunning rock formations, and a whole host of other attractions that blows away Red Rock. Red Rock I believe appeals more to both rock climbers and older folks who just want a nice drive that is very close to Las Vegas. Valley of Fire State Park was the first state park established in Nevada and I think it has characteristics that rival some of the national parks. As one reviewer indicated you can easily spend a whole day in the state park. The visitor center is not as new or complete as the one in Red Rock but there is an interesting trail that leaves from the visitor center at Valley of Fire that is also worthwhile. Figure on about a one hour drive from Las Vegas to Valley of Fire State Park.

2 members found this helpful

• 9tigers's Profile Photo

by 9tigers Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 6:23 AM

I am planning to take a whole day at valley of the fire and yes my hobby is photography, so I will try to go both but will go to valley of fire and death valley for the first 2 days and if I still have time I will go to hoover dam and red rock canyon :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines