Lappi

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Getting to Kilpisjärvi

Kilpisjärvi Mar 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Does anybody know what the roads from Tromso to Kilpisjärvi are like to drive on in March? Thanks :)

more
    • Pascom01's Profile Photo

Wellington Boots and Snow and Ice

Rovaniemi Apr 9, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Hi, are Wellington boots sensible footwear during December/January in Rovaniemi. they are obviously waterproof but will they be warm enough (with socks and the like of course). I suspect they would be slippery on snow, would that be correct? Or should I look at other waterproof footwear - We are coming from Australia and I have never had to consider this in the past - Thanks and Regards -- Malcolm

more
    • Best time to Visit

Rovaniemi Apr 6, 2014 at 2:51 AM

Hi,
      We are from Malaysia (tropical weather all year round) and planning to visit Scandinavia this year.
      My kids are big fans of Santa Claus and they have seen the photos of Rovaniemi and they want to visit Rovaniemi for sure.
      May I know what is the best time to visit Rovaniemi that we get to see snow and Santa Claus?
      Considering we are from Tropical countries, is it tough to adapt to the cold weather there?
      What's the best mode of transportation?
      When it snows, is it still possible to travel by flight?
      Hope to get your reply as we need to start planning our vacation soon!

Many thanks!

more

Driving in Rovaniemi in Winter

Rovaniemi Apr 9, 2014 at 3:48 AM

We are an Australian family of 8 spending a white Xmas in Rovaniemi from 20/12/14 to 27/12/14. Considering hiring cars as we have booked accommodation at Muurola. Given the time of the year, can you still drive around or is the area snowbound. do you need chains. is hiring cars possible/sensible? - regards Malcolm

more

Wellington Boots and Snow and Ice

Rovaniemi Apr 9, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Hi, are Wellington boots sensible footwear during December/January in Rovaniemi. they are obviously waterproof but will they be warm enough (with socks and the like of course). I suspect they would be slippery on snow, would that be correct? Or should I look at other waterproof footwear - We are coming from Australia and I have never had to consider this in the past - Thanks and Regards -- Malcolm

5 Answers Apr 11, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Driving in Rovaniemi in Winter

Rovaniemi Apr 9, 2014 at 3:48 AM

We are an Australian family of 8 spending a white Xmas in Rovaniemi from 20/12/14 to 27/12/14. Considering hiring cars as we have booked accommodation at Muurola. Given the time of the year, can you still drive around or is the area snowbound. do you need chains. is hiring cars possible/sensible? - regards Malcolm

8 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 7:14 AM
    • Best time to Visit

Rovaniemi Apr 6, 2014 at 2:51 AM

Hi,
      We are from Malaysia (tropical weather all year round) and planning to visit Scandinavia this year.
      My kids are big fans of Santa Claus and they have seen the photos of Rovaniemi and they want to visit Rovaniemi for sure.
      May I know what is the best time to visit Rovaniemi that we get to see snow and Santa Claus?
      Considering we are from Tropical countries, is it tough to adapt to the cold weather there?
      What's the best mode of transportation?
      When it snows, is it still possible to travel by flight?
      Hope to get your reply as we need to start planning our vacation soon!

Many thanks!

5 Answers Yesterday
    • Getting to Kilpisjärvi

Kilpisjärvi Mar 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Does anybody know what the roads from Tromso to Kilpisjärvi are like to drive on in March? Thanks :)

1 Answer Mar 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Things to do in Rovaniemi

Rovaniemi Feb 25, 2014 at 12:18 AM

We are staying in Lapland over Xmas this year (2014) and was looking for suggestions about things to do in Rovaniemi

7 Answers Mar 5, 2014 at 8:51 AM
    • Amer23's Profile Photo

Activities on november

Ivalo Feb 9, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Hi.
      I planning to go saariselka on november.what activities I can do on that time?

7 Answers Feb 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    • Timetable for day train

Rovaniemi Jan 16, 2014 at 1:34 PM

what is the DAY TRAIN TIMETABLE from Helsinki to Rovanemi?

1 Answer Jan 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM
    • Stay in Rovaniemi or further up north ?

Rovaniemi Jan 2, 2014 at 4:32 AM

Hi! I will be visiting the Lapland in early February. I am a solo male traveler and my concerns are should i stay in rovaniemi or further up north? e.g 1-2 days stay then move up to Levi etc and spend another 1-2 days there. My interests are in the beauty of the wilderness area (easy to moderate winter trails that dont take more than a day), husky and reindeer rides and hopefully catching a free aurora instead of going with the tours provided (am contemplating the night snowmobile aurora hunt, not sure if its worth though). Im always open to recommendations! Much help would be appreciated please!

Thanks!

Jonathan from Singapore

4 Answers Jan 7, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    • Hotel most close to Aallonkatu bus stop

Rovaniemi Dec 21, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I want to take the sampo icebreaker in february and the meeting point is Aallonkuta bus stop, What's the most nearby hotel to the bus stop as I think it would not be easy to walking around in Feb's cold weather.

Thank you very much!!!

Kitty from Hong Kong

6 Answers Dec 23, 2013 at 7:14 AM
    • Day Trip to Artic Snow Hotel

Rovaniemi Dec 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Hi. We are planning a day trip to Artic Snow Hotel on 27 Dec. Are there any buses going there? Thks!

3 Answers Dec 13, 2013 at 2:44 AM
    • Juanmareca's Profile Photo

May I ask SANTA for more Snow?

Rovaniemi Dec 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Hello. We are a family of five (My wife, plus 5, 10, and 11 years old children) from Madrid, Spain. We will stay at Rovaniemi from 12th December to 16th December. I visit the Rovaniemi Webcams daily and not too much snow really. The weather forecast, besides its unpredictability, does not show at this moment great snowfalls for next week. So I am wondering if,,, snowmobiles or huskies trip are possible with the actual snow and weather conditions?... And if not... what can we do???. We have rent a car for those days, and will be staying at ounasvaaran Pirtit ¿should we move somewhere else to do those trips?. All information and recommendations are wellcome. Best regards from Madrid.

3 Answers Dec 10, 2013 at 3:54 AM
    • northern lights

Rovaniemi Dec 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

hi... I was wondering if you really have to pay that much money to take a tour to see the aurora b. or if you can go somewhere near downtown rovaniemi by yourself to see it.. cause I would like to saty ther a few days and i dont wanna pay for every single night a tour... thanks

5 Answers Dec 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    • LidaG's Profile Photo

Holiday Information

Sirkka Nov 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM

hello
      I have planed to visit Levi in January For 8 Days..I have Booked @ the Holiday Levi Apartments.
      I wanted to know about the costof eating out and i would love some restaurant tips.
      Also wanted to have some snowboard lessons does anyone knows the cost?I will for sure want to go for a husky Safari
      wich is the best company to book it?
      any tips are welcomed...
      kInd regards
      Lida

6 Answers Nov 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    • Question title

Rovaniemi Nov 19, 2013 at 5:34 AM

We will be staying in Katkavaaran Luontokeskus in Tervalo and would transport from Rovaniemi Airport to Tervalo. Understand the taxi are expensive about 150 Euros is ther any other cheaper mode of transport?

1 Answer Nov 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    • Drive in Rovaniemi

Rovaniemi Nov 19, 2013 at 5:27 AM

We are thinking of renting a car to drive from Rovaniemi airport to Kemi for the Sampo ice breakers and back. Is it safe to drive is there any cheaper option to travel about?

9 Answers Nov 25, 2013 at 5:54 AM
    • Levi Glass Igloo

Kittilä Nov 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Has anyone been to the Levi Glass Igloo? Golden Crown I think it's called. I can't find much about it on Google but it looks really nice. It actually looks much better than the one at Kakslauttanen which has all the hype, not sure why...

2 Answers Nov 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    • How to get to Oulanka

Oulanka Nov 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Hi,
      Does anyone know how to get to Oulanka from Rovaniemi or from Helsinki in January 2014? Are there buses or trains or can I drive?

6 Answers Nov 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    • Mid-March Rovaniemi to Ivalo by car? Any snow? Where to see aurora borealis by car/foot?

Rovaniemi Nov 12, 2013 at 11:34 PM

- I think it's about a 3h40m drive. Is this crazy or is it a good idea and worth the drive there? What would be the road condition?
      - Is there a lot more snow in Ivalo Saariselka compared to Rovaniemi?

3 Answers Nov 13, 2013 at 4:29 AM
    • SherlynT's Profile Photo

what kind of lugguage to bring

Rovaniemi Nov 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM

hi, i will be going on a tour from helsinki and upwards to olu, rovaneimi, etc to catch the aurora and some snow activities. is it advisable to bring a rolling suitcase or is a big backpack better? am worried the rolling wheels will get caught when lugging them around the snow

4 Answers Nov 17, 2013 at 4:32 AM
    • Transportation from Ivalo to Utsjoki

Lappi Oct 21, 2013 at 5:50 AM

I have a group of 8 people that need to go from Ivalo airport to Utsjoki. Do you know if there is train/bus/taxi transportation available? We can't find the information.

8 Answers Oct 21, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    • Transportation from Kiruna-> Pello -> Rovaniemi

Rovaniemi Oct 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I'd like to travel to Lapland with my friends durning New Year holiday.
      We plan to travel from Kiruna to Rovaniemi by public transportation on 05-Jan.
      I search on internet there have no direct flights between Kiruna and Rovaniemi, and found out better way should be: Kiruna -> Pello -> Rovaniemi.
      But I check the webite on both Sweden and Finland, it seems do not have timetable and costs on respective bus/ train sites after Dec.
      Will it have new timetable? or the route will be stopped after Dec?
      Can someone help me with the planning? Any suggestion will be appreciate.

13 Answers Dec 8, 2013 at 4:45 AM
    • Public off-season Travel from Finland to Sweeden and Norway

Kilpisjärvi Oct 6, 2013 at 5:13 AM

I am staying in Kilpisjärvi at the moment until the beginning of November, whilst here I would like to make 2 small trips, (possibly as a round trip) to Kiruna in Sweeden and Tromsø in Norway, ending up back in Kilpisjärvi.

As it is off season, the convinent bus from Finland to Norway doesn't operate as far as I can see and I am asking if anyone knows any suggested routes that I could follow on public transport to reach these destinations?

4 Answers Oct 6, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    • Help and inputs needed

Rovaniemi Oct 2, 2013 at 3:06 AM

Hi,

We are visiting Rovaniemi from 18th-22 dec as part of our honeymoon. My fiancé really wants to visit Lapland and experience all excursions, snow etc. I have already booked safaris like Santa Claus village, northern lights, snowmobiling. I would be grateful if someone can help me with my questions below-

1) can we expect snow in mid December in Rovaniemi? How would the safaris function is there is no snow? Is there any other place close to Rovaniemi where we can go to be in snow?

2) since we are from India and not use to very cold weather , what kind of temperatures should we expect and any what all kind of clothing shoulda we not forget to pack?

3) any other suggestion of outdoor activities etc to make our trip memorable?

Thanks in advance

10 Answers Oct 4, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    • HELP AND INPUTS NEEDED- weather, things to do in Rovaniemi

Rovaniemi Oct 2, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Hi,

We are visiting Rovaniemi from 18th-22 dec as part of our honeymoon. My fiancé really wants to visit Lapland and experience all excursions, snow etc. I have already booked safaris like Santa Claus village, northern lights, snowmobiling. I would be grateful if someone can help me with my questions below-

1) can we expect snow in mid December in Rovaniemi? How would the safaris function is there is no snow? Is there any other place close to Rovaniemi where we can go to be in snow?

2) since we are from India and not use to very cold weather , what kind of temperatures should we expect and any what all kind of clothing shoulda we not forget to pack?

3) any other suggestion of outdoor activities etc to make our trip memorable?

Thanks in advance

8 Answers Oct 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM
    • Northern light ?

Rovaniemi Sep 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Is it possible to see northern light at the moment ? I will be flying from London and want to make sure that I will get to see it.

5 Answers Sep 23, 2013 at 2:52 AM
    • overnight stay

Rovaniemi Sep 4, 2013 at 3:33 AM

Hello.
      My plane is scheduled do arrive at 9.50 PM , so i was wondering, if is possible to stay at the airport over the night and then in morning go straight to Santa Claus village.
      Thanks
      Suzy

3 Answers Sep 5, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    • Need help to get from rovaniemi to kakslauttanen

Rovaniemi Jun 23, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Hi,

I would like to know if the bus from rovaniemi to ivalo via kakslauttanen run on Christmas Day? The online bus schedule for December is not yet available. Also, do taxis ply the route and how much would the fare cost for 2 adults?

Thank you.

5 Answers Nov 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    • ErinB21's Profile Photo

Late flight to Helsinki with kids. What to do?

Rovaniemi Jun 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Hi,

I was after some advice on what to do once we check out of the snow hotel (in January) if our flight does not depart till 21.20. We are travelling with 3 small kids and realise it is going to be very cold at night so had hoped someone might have an idea of where we could go. Is there any hotels that we could book as a day room?

Thanks in advance

9 Answers Jun 24, 2013 at 3:21 AM
    • Driving from Helsinki to Rovaniemi in Dec

Rovaniemi Jun 17, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Hi everybody, we are coming to Rovaniemi for Christmas. Have booked accom. But the flights from Helsinki are horribly expensive and the night train booked out. I am considering hiring a car. I know its approx 600km...as we come from Australia this distance is usual for us. But given the snow etc is the route easily drivable in mid-Dec?

4 Answers Mar 30, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    • marzlmr's Profile Photo

Any other way to get to Ranua Zoo tomorrow (9/5)?

Rovaniemi May 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I'm in Rovaniemi for one day tomorrow and wanted to visit Arktikum in the morning and then travel to Ranua Zoo at about 1300. Based on the Ranua website, this should have been possible, however, as tomorrow is Ascension day, the usual 1320 bus isn't running so I would have to catch the 845 bus and come back at 1017 (which only gives me half an hour at the zoo) or at 1720 (in which case Arktikum will be closed). I've had a look at car rentals but these are expensive. Is there any other way to get there by public transport? Or is someone heading that way around 1300 so that I can catch a ride there? Any suggestions/advice appreciated here or to marzlmr@gmail.com.

16 Answers May 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM