Travel Answers
Laos

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• transport for 6 person 1 child from Vientiane to Laung Prabang.

Luang Prabang Apr 7, 2014 at 7:37 PM

where to get the transport service? via online can ah? which website? how is the cost??

more
    • JuliusS's Profile Photo

Slowboat from sainyabuli to ventiane Still possible?

Xaignabouli Mar 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Does anyone know if its Still possible to go to vientiane from sainyabuli? If yes, how?

more
    • Donations in Laos

Laos Mar 19, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Is it appropriate to take donations to villages/tribes in Laos?
      When I travel in Indonesia I always take childrens clothing/footwear and (new) ladies underwear as they are always in great demand.
      I used to take basic English reading books for the children but found that they were really never used.
      It will be my first visit to Laos and I don't want to cause offence or take things that are not needed/wanted.
      Any advice gratefully received...thanks

more
    • Bus trip from Luang Prabang to Vietiane

Luang Prabang Apr 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM

How safe is the bus trip?
      We are going to do this trip around the end of May. I have read a lot of comments on this route and I am not sure how to rate it. The mud slides, the winding road and the steep drops, the break downs and delays are a little nerve wracking for someone who doesn't like mountain roads. I am also a little anxious about the aviation safety. Yes, I could stay home. But I just want to get the most recent traveller's information to access what to expect. From that I shall make a call to see this amazing country (from all accounts).

more
    • Bus trip from Luang Prabang to Vietiane

Luang Prabang Apr 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM

How safe is the bus trip?
      We are going to do this trip around the end of May. I have read a lot of comments on this route and I am not sure how to rate it. The mud slides, the winding road and the steep drops, the break downs and delays are a little nerve wracking for someone who doesn't like mountain roads. I am also a little anxious about the aviation safety. Yes, I could stay home. But I just want to get the most recent traveller's information to access what to expect. From that I shall make a call to see this amazing country (from all accounts).

6 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    • transport for 6 person 1 child from Vientiane to Laung Prabang.

Luang Prabang Apr 7, 2014 at 7:37 PM

where to get the transport service? via online can ah? which website? how is the cost??

1 Answer Apr 8, 2014 at 12:51 AM
    • JuliusS's Profile Photo

Slowboat from sainyabuli to ventiane Still possible?

Xaignabouli Mar 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Does anyone know if its Still possible to go to vientiane from sainyabuli? If yes, how?

1 Answer Mar 21, 2014 at 1:33 AM
    • Donations in Laos

Laos Mar 19, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Is it appropriate to take donations to villages/tribes in Laos?
      When I travel in Indonesia I always take childrens clothing/footwear and (new) ladies underwear as they are always in great demand.
      I used to take basic English reading books for the children but found that they were really never used.
      It will be my first visit to Laos and I don't want to cause offence or take things that are not needed/wanted.
      Any advice gratefully received...thanks

5 Answers Mar 21, 2014 at 1:46 AM
    • poepat's Profile Photo

Elephant Conservation Centre Sayaboury Laos

Laos Mar 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Hi all, Anyone have any experiences of the elephant conservation centre in Sayaboury Province... We have read mixed reviews. We are thinking of going in February 2015 when travelling through Laos.... Anyone have knowledge of any similar organisations in Laos that are worth visiting.
      Many thanks
      poepat

1 Answer Mar 11, 2014 at 2:24 AM
    • Stray dogs?

Luang Prabang Mar 6, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Hi there,

I will be visiting Luang Prabang for two weeks from late March to early April. This trip is quite spontaneous so I do not have enough time to get the pre-exposure rabies vaccinations. I am a little bit worried going to LP without the pre-exposure rabies vaccinations because I understand the human rabies immunoglobulin for post-exposure treatment may not be readily available.

So I am wondering - are dog bites quite common in LP? Are there many stray dogs around? And, if the family at the guesthouse where I will be staying has a dog, which is unlikely to be rabid, is it still a good idea to stay away from it?

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Best regards, JT

4 Answers Mar 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    • Travel by road fron bangkok to Vientianne

Vientiane Mar 5, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Hi VT friends

What is best option to go by road from bangkok to Vientianne
      having valid visas of both countries.

Any hasseles at borders ??

regds

3 Answers Mar 7, 2014 at 3:59 AM
    • poepat's Profile Photo

hanoi to Luang Prabang

Laos Mar 1, 2014 at 4:53 AM

Hi all,,,, just starting to arrange schedule for 2015 hols....
      what is the best way to travel from Hanoi to Luang Prabang . What are the options, coach, flight or train.
      We have read a lot about Luang Prabang, has anyone suggestions for must do things whilst there.
      Ultimately we intend to go to the Elephant Conservation Centre and understand that we first need to get to Sayaboury before a ferry ride to the centre.
      Is it worthwhile staying in Sayaboury for a couple of nights or not.
      Any information on the ECC (elephant conservation centre)
      Many thanks
      poepat

2 Answers Mar 1, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    • Jeshie's Profile Photo

Hot Air Ballooning

Vang Vieng Feb 19, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Hi All,
      Just wondering if anyone has any experience with booking hot air ballooning in Vang Vieng in advance.
      Would just like to secure a position as it is at the top of my to do list.

Also, I have read that there are three different times for the rides (0600,0700 and 1600)... Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the best? Worried about possible smog in the morning/too hot in the afternoon.

Thanks in advance!

• A week in Laos

Laos Jan 6, 2014 at 6:27 AM

Hi there!

I intend to travel to Laos for a mini getaway. I was in Laos long time ago and the charm of Laos always in my heart.
      I've visited Vientiane, Luang Prabang and Plains of Jars before. This time if I return, I would like to see other province.
      Kindly suggest where should I visit for a week .Vang Vieng is in my list.Plus, I would like to do some volunteer centers in Vientiane and Luang Prabang, kindly suggest. Thanks.

5 Answers Jan 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    • morsecode54's Profile Photo

Best time to visit Mount Phousi

Luang Prabang Jan 1, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I intend to visit the mount middle of January, but am warned about the crowds there. Is it better to go at sunrise or sunset? Thanks in advance,

3 Answers Jan 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    • transport from OudomXai to Muang Ngoi Neua

Muang Ngoi Dec 29, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Hello,
      I am planning to travel from OudomXai to Muang Ngoi Neua.
      Do you know if there is a bus going that way ?
      Otherwise, I would take the bus to Muang Khua and then the boat to Muang Ngoi Neua. But it seems the boat leaves from Muang Khua only in the morning, is there a chance to find a boat around 1 pm ?
      Thanks for your help

1 Answer Dec 29, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Travel with Lao Central Airlines

Vientiane Dec 25, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Hi, Vientiane VT,

Has anyone booked with Lao Central Airlines online before? Does the airline really accept online payments via MasterCard Debit Card?

Has anyone visited Lao Central Airlines Head Office in Vientiane? If yes, are aircraft postcards available there?

Chyan

1 Answer Dec 26, 2013 at 4:24 AM
    • frankie8889's Profile Photo

Luang Prabang visit for 3 nights in Jan 2014

Luang Prabang Dec 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Merry X'mas and Happy New Year,

My wife and me will be in Luang Prabang 09.01.14 afternoon for 3 nights, any recommendation for places to visit on 10th and 11th as we will take our time to walk around the city upon our arrival on the 9th.

Thank you for your advice.

Warmest Regards,
      Frankie W

3 Answers Jan 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM
    • morsecode54's Profile Photo

Luang Prabang to Vientiane by Road

Luang Prabang Dec 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I intend to do the overland trip from LP to Vientiane in January. Need advice on two matters:
      (1) How long is the travelling distance and what are the road conditions like?
      (2) How many hours will it take if I travel in a minivan?
      Would appreciate any advice given.

4 Answers Dec 18, 2013 at 12:21 AM
    • Coach travel

Laos Nov 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM

How long is the coach trip between Luang prabang and Vientiane

4 Answers Nov 29, 2013 at 1:48 AM
    • Maxclaret's Profile Photo

Please can you advice me on temples, hiking and beach in Laos in Cambodia?

Laos Nov 11, 2013 at 12:21 AM

I plan to spend 2 to 3 weeks in Loas and Cambodia at the end of November and early December. Obviously, I plan to go to Angkar Wot for 3 or 4 days. After that, I'm open to suggestions. I heard the country side in Loas is beautiful, so would be looking for some advice on hiking and trekking in Loas and may be Cambodia. It would also be nice to spend 3-4 days at the end of my trip relaxing on the beach.

All ideas and advice welcome!

Many thanks
      Max

5 Answers Nov 11, 2013 at 3:53 AM
    • That Luang festival

Laos Sep 26, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Hello :) I would be grateful if somebody could answer on my two questions :)
      1) We are planning to go to Laos in November this year, and we would like to be there with the That Luang festival. Is the date for this festival already known?
      2) What, in your opinion is more worth seeing - trekking in Nam Ha NPA or going to the north ie. to Nong Khiaw or Muang Ngoi ? I'll just add that after visiting Laos we will go to Sapa/Bac Ha/maybe Lao Cai (Vietnam).

Thanks!

5 Answers Sep 26, 2013 at 3:16 AM
    • Volunteer nursing in Laos for three weeks, adding two/two and half week holiday.. Help planning?

Laos Sep 4, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Hello,

I'm travelling to Luang Prabang for three weeks volunteer nursing. As its costing me so much I also want to add a holiday on. I'm thinking maximum two and a half weeks as I will already miss my kids. I'm 35 year old male travelling solo. I'm roughly thinking of spending most of the time in thailand, Chang mai, Phuket, Bangkok. I've also been thinking as its so cheap to spend a few days in Vietnam?
      Maybe head from Luang Prabang to vientaine (sorry if spelling is wrong) then fly to vietnam, then bangkok then Chang mai, then Phuket. I haven't travelled much but mostly keen to see as much as possible in a short time, I'm a photographer and plan on shooting a heap of shots. Can anyone offer any advice? Or suggest and itinerary I could follow? I will be here in Jan/feb 2013.

Very much appreciate any help working things out!

Thanks in advance.

5 Answers Sep 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    • mikkie50's Profile Photo

eco lodge.s ??

Laos Jul 22, 2013 at 7:28 AM

hi we traveling up to laos and would like to know of some good but cheap eco lodges in any area by the river if pos we have three weeks to explore thanks mikkie

2 Answers Jul 24, 2013 at 7:42 AM
    • psychiy's Profile Photo

Bangkok-Laos-Bangkok 5-day trip

Laos Jul 21, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Hello! I am planning to go on a 5-day back pack trip to Bangkok-Laos-Bangkok late December. Can anyone suggest a 5-day IT and how I can get to the places the cheapest possible way? I will be flying in and out of Bangkok for the trip because there is no direct flight to any of the airports in Laos from Manila. Aside from the temples, I want to see the scenic country side of Laos even just for one day or an overnight trip. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!:)

9 Answers Aug 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    • psychiy's Profile Photo

Places to see in Vientiane

Vientiane Jul 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I want to visit the Vientiane and What pu area in Laos this end December. How do I get to what pu from vientiane? How long will it take me? Can anyone please recommend an IT for a 3 to 4-day trip? Thanks!

2 Answers Jul 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM

best route to take

Laos Jul 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM

we are heading to bangcok from the uk but want to get to laos vietienne what is the best route to take thanks mikkie

5 Answers Jul 19, 2013 at 5:37 AM
    • zoed44's Profile Photo

TUBING

Laos Jul 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM

hey, does anyone know if you can still go tubing in Vang Vieng in laos - I am going at the end of August!
      Also can you buy a visa for Laos from Bangkok (I am pretty sure a visa is required!)
      Thanks!!

3 Answers Jul 19, 2013 at 5:51 AM
    • Luang Prabang to Muang Ngoi

Laos Jun 25, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I saw from the latest news that there is now a direct road from Luang Prabang to Muang Ngoi which means I need not to to Nong Khiaw and then take a boat trip to Muang Ngoi. Can any VT members confirm that? What is the timetable and how long will take trip take? Thanks for any reply in advance.

2 Answers Jun 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM

what to see in laos

Laos Jun 21, 2013 at 3:49 PM

hi need to know a good itinary for laos we have three weeks thanks M

5 Answers Jun 24, 2013 at 1:17 AM

good eco lodge

Laos Jun 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM

hi does anyone know of any really good eco lodges in laos not fussed where so long as they are some where in laos
      kind regards mikkie

4 Answers Jul 24, 2013 at 7:39 AM
    • Visiting countries surrounding Laos

Laos Jun 17, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I was planning to take the route Bangkok, Vientiane, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Phnom Penh and back to Bangkok by air ( on average 80 USD type flights) However, The lack of cheap air tickets out of Vientiane restricted me to just two, namely Bangkok and Vientiane. This is probably because I wanted to travel North (Bangkok to Vientiane) first. How would you have done this trip on a 500 USD travel budget?

3 Answers Jun 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM
    • Travelling from Udon Thani to Viantiane

Laos Jun 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Hi, I intend to travel to Laos overland from Udon Thani, in Thailand. Any problems? I hold a UK passport. Do I need a visa in advance, and where in Bangkok could I get one? Or can I get my visa stamped at the border when I travel by bus from Udon Thani to Viantiane?

3 Answers Jun 10, 2013 at 12:18 AM
    • Visa on entry

Laos Jun 4, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I am a UK citizen. Can I get my tourist visa upon entry at a Laos border, crossing from Thailand?
      What documents do I need to take with me?

5 Answers Jun 4, 2013 at 5:43 AM