Travel Answers
Laos

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• is it safe as a single female traveller in Laos?

Laos Dec 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Is it safe to travel around Laos (obviously normal safety precautions apply) as a female traveller? Does anyone know a good place (more relaxing than manic) to spend Christmas in the country?
      Many thanks

6 Answers Dec 12, 2014 at 4:13 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Is there any cultural park in Vientiane without going out to Buddha Park?

Vientiane Oct 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Hi, Vientiane VT,

Is there any cultural park in Vientiane without going out to Buddha Park?

Also on Internet is there any updated list of vegetarian restaurants or food courts in Vientiane?

Otherwise i would have to travel by expensive hotel car to look for places to eat.

Chyan

3 Answers Oct 18, 2014 at 3:22 AM
    • Visit Akha Village (Muang Sing or Luang Namtha)

Laos Oct 5, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Hi guys,

Is it possible for me to hike and visit the Akha Village by myself, without hiring any local guides? Or maybe it is not a good idea at all?

Please advise :)

Thanks!

2 Answers Oct 5, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    • Stroller's Profile Photo

4 and half hours by road from Vientiane to Luang Prabang?

Laos Sep 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Hi, Google map shows that the journey from Vientiane to Luang Prabang takes 4 and half hours by road. From what I've read, this sounds quite incredible. This is definitely not for the bus, is it? Many thanks for your advice.

Also, any idea how long it takes to travel by bus from Vientiane to Vang Vieng?

Many thanks in advance!

4 Answers Sep 27, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    • Driver + guide in Laos

Laos Sep 17, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Does anyone has any good driver + guide to recommend in Laos?

1 Answer Oct 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Is there any bus that stops at T2 Road near Sengtiane Hotel?

Vientiane Aug 31, 2014 at 4:04 AM

Is there any bus in Vientiane that stops at T2 Road near Sengtiane Hotel?

• Chyan's Profile Photo

Cusine d'or and Fruit Heaven

Vientiane Aug 31, 2014 at 3:59 AM

Can i know what are the addresses of Cusine d'or and Fruit Heaven in Vientiane? How much it costs to travel to these places to eat dinner or lunch from T2 Road by taxi or tuk-tuk?

4 Answers Sep 4, 2014 at 7:29 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Need to know the minimum costs of dining at a Lao restaurant in Vientiane

Vientiane Aug 19, 2014 at 4:15 AM

Hi, Vientiane VT,

Can anyone advise the minimum costs of dining at a Lao restaurant in Vientiane? Are ATMs "eating cards" still common problems in Vientiane?

Chyan

12 Answers Sep 3, 2014 at 3:35 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Question about Aroon Residence Hotel, Chanthabouly District, Vientiane

Vientiane Aug 3, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Hi, Vientiane VT,

Has anyone stayed in Aroon Residence Hotel? Care to share comments about this hotel?

• Chyan's Profile Photo

Buddha Park outside Vientiane

Vientiane Aug 3, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Hi, Vientiane VT,

Can i know whether Buddha Park is infested with mosquitoes or not? I learn that dengue fever is a major concern in Vientiane. What should i wear if i plan to visit Buddha Park or do sightseeing in Vientiane?

2 Answers Aug 4, 2014 at 7:31 AM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Traffic condition from Chanthabouly District to Vientiane Wattay Airport on early Sunday

Vientiane Aug 3, 2014 at 7:07 AM

Hi, Vientiane VT,

Is there any traffic jam along the way from Chanthabouly District to Wattay Airport of Vientiane on every early Sunday? My departure flight from Vientiane is at 9.50 am Vientiane time.

1 Answer Aug 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    • Chyan's Profile Photo

Questions about Sengtiane Hotel in Vientiane

Vientiane Aug 3, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Hi, Vientiane VT,

Has anyone stayed in Sengtiane Hotel along T2 Road in Vientiane, 10 minutes car ride from the airport? Is it a good hotel? I was quoted different rates for a Single Room on a specific date in December, no free transfer to the airport from the hotel. Car and driver hire 70 USD per day for destinations far and near including transfer from the airport. Transfer to the airport on the departure date is free.

• Hiking, biking, kayaking - difficult/extreme

Luang Prabang Jul 28, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Hello,

I would like to do an extreme adventure tour that involves biking, hiking and kayaking.

Any suggestions welcome?

Cheers

• Visa issues for Nepali passport ?

Laos Jul 8, 2014 at 4:41 AM

Can anyone help me with the info about possibilty of on-arrival visa for Nepalese paspport holder ? (point of entry- Vientiane via Nong Khai)

2 Answers Jul 8, 2014 at 6:03 AM
    • Tha Li crossing into Laos

Muang Pak-Lay Jun 29, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Can you cross into Laos from Tha LI near Loei in Thailand ?. I am an Irish citizen.

3 Answers Jul 17, 2014 at 3:41 AM
    • What's the best way to travel from Luang Prabang to Siem Reap

Luang Prabang Jun 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Hi!

Me and my friend will be traveling around SE asia for a month and a half this summer. We are starting in thailand and would like to go to Laos(particularly Luang Prabang) and Cambodia as well. We will travel from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang, but then need to get to Siem Reap or Phnom Penh. I know traveling over land is cheaper but more time consuming. About how long would it take? What trains/buses should we take? How much would it cost? I know that flying is easiest but it is not cheap, and we are on a tight budget and will also probably have to fly from Cambodia into Thailand because I've been told that the Thai/Cambodia border is unsafe right now. What would you recommend we do? I don't want to spend all my time on buses but am on a budget and really would like to see Luang Prabang.

2 Answers Jun 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM
    • Quiet accommodation in Vang Vieng

Laos May 30, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Hi!
      Does anyone have some suggestions about a quiet accommodation in Vang vieng around 50 000 kip? We want to go for the scenary and outdoor activities on our way for Vientiane, but not for partying, drinking, etc. We want to wake up early for those activities to avoid the crowd so we'll need a quiet accommodation to be able to sleep early as well ( I know, we are boring people! haha!). So any suggestion about accommodation or quiet area in VV? Thanks a lot!

2 Answers May 30, 2014 at 4:20 AM
    • What does Vang Vieng look like now?? (may-june 2014)

Vang Vieng May 29, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Hi,
      I would like to know, from someone who went recently (during april-may 2014), what's look like Vang Vieng right now. I met people who went last year and said there were no more partying, the city was quiet, relax. And then I heard today (from people who didn't go), that everything is like before: drunk people everywhere, party all the time, bars on the river, a lot of travelers. So I would like to have a real update, from someone who went is the recent month, and not from someone who heard from someone..... your answers will help me to make my decision if I go or not.
      Cheers a lot !

1 Answer Nov 14, 2014 at 1:01 AM
    • Bridge to laos

Muang Pak-Lay May 17, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Is Pak lay where you go to cross the bridge to have lunch in laos and do Aussies need a visa to do so?

3 Answers May 19, 2014 at 12:45 AM
    • Bus trip from Luang Prabang to Vietiane

Luang Prabang Apr 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM

How safe is the bus trip?
      We are going to do this trip around the end of May. I have read a lot of comments on this route and I am not sure how to rate it. The mud slides, the winding road and the steep drops, the break downs and delays are a little nerve wracking for someone who doesn't like mountain roads. I am also a little anxious about the aviation safety. Yes, I could stay home. But I just want to get the most recent traveller's information to access what to expect. From that I shall make a call to see this amazing country (from all accounts).

6 Answers Apr 10, 2014 at 5:38 AM
    • transport for 6 person 1 child from Vientiane to Laung Prabang.

Luang Prabang Apr 7, 2014 at 7:37 PM

where to get the transport service? via online can ah? which website? how is the cost??

1 Answer Apr 8, 2014 at 12:51 AM
    • JuliusS's Profile Photo

Slowboat from sainyabuli to ventiane Still possible?

Xaignabouli Mar 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Does anyone know if its Still possible to go to vientiane from sainyabuli? If yes, how?

1 Answer Mar 21, 2014 at 1:33 AM
    • Donations in Laos

Laos Mar 19, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Is it appropriate to take donations to villages/tribes in Laos?
      When I travel in Indonesia I always take childrens clothing/footwear and (new) ladies underwear as they are always in great demand.
      I used to take basic English reading books for the children but found that they were really never used.
      It will be my first visit to Laos and I don't want to cause offence or take things that are not needed/wanted.
      Any advice gratefully received...thanks

5 Answers Jul 21, 2014 at 5:21 AM
    • poepat's Profile Photo

Elephant Conservation Centre Sayaboury Laos

Laos Mar 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Hi all, Anyone have any experiences of the elephant conservation centre in Sayaboury Province... We have read mixed reviews. We are thinking of going in February 2015 when travelling through Laos.... Anyone have knowledge of any similar organisations in Laos that are worth visiting.
      Many thanks
      poepat

1 Answer Mar 11, 2014 at 2:24 AM
    • Stray dogs?

Luang Prabang Mar 6, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Hi there,

I will be visiting Luang Prabang for two weeks from late March to early April. This trip is quite spontaneous so I do not have enough time to get the pre-exposure rabies vaccinations. I am a little bit worried going to LP without the pre-exposure rabies vaccinations because I understand the human rabies immunoglobulin for post-exposure treatment may not be readily available.

So I am wondering - are dog bites quite common in LP? Are there many stray dogs around? And, if the family at the guesthouse where I will be staying has a dog, which is unlikely to be rabid, is it still a good idea to stay away from it?

Thank you for your advice in advance.

Best regards, JT

4 Answers Mar 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM
    • Travel by road fron bangkok to Vientianne

Vientiane Mar 5, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Hi VT friends

What is best option to go by road from bangkok to Vientianne
      having valid visas of both countries.

Any hasseles at borders ??

regds

4 Answers May 6, 2014 at 3:36 AM
    • poepat's Profile Photo

hanoi to Luang Prabang

Laos Mar 1, 2014 at 4:53 AM

Hi all,,,, just starting to arrange schedule for 2015 hols....
      what is the best way to travel from Hanoi to Luang Prabang . What are the options, coach, flight or train.
      We have read a lot about Luang Prabang, has anyone suggestions for must do things whilst there.
      Ultimately we intend to go to the Elephant Conservation Centre and understand that we first need to get to Sayaboury before a ferry ride to the centre.
      Is it worthwhile staying in Sayaboury for a couple of nights or not.
      Any information on the ECC (elephant conservation centre)
      Many thanks
      poepat

2 Answers Mar 1, 2014 at 5:26 AM
    • Jeshie's Profile Photo

Hot Air Ballooning

Vang Vieng Feb 19, 2014 at 1:27 AM

Hi All,
      Just wondering if anyone has any experience with booking hot air ballooning in Vang Vieng in advance.
      Would just like to secure a position as it is at the top of my to do list.

Also, I have read that there are three different times for the rides (0600,0700 and 1600)... Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the best? Worried about possible smog in the morning/too hot in the afternoon.

Thanks in advance!

1 Answer May 6, 2014 at 3:41 AM
    • A week in Laos

Laos Jan 6, 2014 at 6:27 AM

Hi there!

I intend to travel to Laos for a mini getaway. I was in Laos long time ago and the charm of Laos always in my heart.
      I've visited Vientiane, Luang Prabang and Plains of Jars before. This time if I return, I would like to see other province.
      Kindly suggest where should I visit for a week .Vang Vieng is in my list.Plus, I would like to do some volunteer centers in Vientiane and Luang Prabang, kindly suggest. Thanks.

5 Answers Jan 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    • morsecode54's Profile Photo

Best time to visit Mount Phousi

Luang Prabang Jan 1, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I intend to visit the mount middle of January, but am warned about the crowds there. Is it better to go at sunrise or sunset? Thanks in advance,

3 Answers Jan 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM