Laos Travel Answers

change location

BKK to Vientiane - Is it easy to get On Arival Visa ?

by amilap Online Now Dec 26, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Hi All,

I’m from Sri Lanka and I hope to travel to LAOS on 4th Feb 2012. I and mate hope travel by train from BKK to Vientiane. We don’t have a LAOS embassy in Sri Lanka. And also this is our first visit to LAOS.
First and foremost I need to know..
Can I get On Arrive visa in the Boarder?
Most people’s says that it is very difficult to get the visa to LAOS. Is that correct? Will it be disappointing and back to BKK without seen the country?

Many Thanks for your inputs…

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Nishk87's Profile Photo

Re: BKK to Vientiane - Is it easy to get On Arival Visa ?

by Nishk87 Online Now Dec 26, 2011 at 10:05 PM

It's not difficult to get a visa at the border providing you go to one which will give you one at the border. The easiest ways to get into Laos is either using the Friendship Bridge or doing the boat trip across the Mekong river from north Thailand to Luang Prabang. I've done both of these and haven't had any problems. It's also a good idea to check the laos visa requirement for people from Sri Lanka on their embassy website

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • planxty's Profile Photo

by planxty Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 12:00 AM

As Nisha says, not a difficult proposition at all. #Make sure to have a passport that is valid for a good long time and some passport photos are also useful (can't actually remember if I needed them at the border post opposite Chiang Khong. Extending a visa for Lao is also pretty painless, whould you decide to to it.

Hope this assists,

fergy.

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo

by leon.partsi Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 1:04 AM

This website seems to say you can get a visa on arrival:
    retire-asia.com/lao-visa-on-...

Or, more accurately, it doesn't list Sri Lanka under the 29 countries in the "pre-approved visa required" list.

If you are really worried about it, you can send your details to the nearest neighboring country with a Lao embassy. That would be India. Here are their details:
    http://www.indemblao.nic.in/

Good luck!

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

by cochinjew Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Sri Lankaise Citizens are approved to get Visa on Arrival in Lao PDR. But as always it is good to check, either with the nearest Embassy or in BKK when you are there. There is a historic Buddhist connection between Laos/Cambodia and Sri Lanka which you might be interested in.

• Re: BKK to Vientiane - Is it easy to get On Arival Visa ?

by amilap Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 8:06 AM

Hi leon.partsi,
    Just check the link you shows and Sri Lanka is listed under the 29 countries which are pre required visa to enter LAOS.
    That means, I can not go there as i planed before. I have to get the visa earlier. or I can give a try to apply a visa from Laos embassy in Thailand, in case how many days will it take?
    Thanks

by amilap Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Hi fergy,
    Only things I'm afraid is that web site says people from SL need pre-visa to enter. If it is 100% restricted to SL peoples, I don't want to try.
    If are there at least 5% chance to entrance, I would really like to try it out. even if I fail, it will be a good experience for me.... :)

Thanks

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo

by leon.partsi Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 2:42 PM

You're right, sorry! I must have missed it.
    It looks like you will then need a pre-approved visa.

This is the website for the Lao embassy in Bangkok:
    http://www.bkklaoembassy.com/

Good luck!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

by Mikebb Online Now Dec 27, 2011 at 5:26 PM

We arrived Vientiane end of Bov'11, we are Australian citizens and our flight arrived from KL. Visa issued on arrival, 20 minute wait in line, must have current passport with at least 6 months before expiry and 1 additional passport size photo to go on Visa Application Form. I guess procedure for Sri Lanka passport holders would be similar, suggest you visit the Laos web page and check.

by rohanapr Online Now Jul 15, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Hi Amilap,
    I am Sri Lankan also planing to visit laos from bangkok on next january by train.Please let me know whether you got visa for laos in your jurney.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Laos Travel Answer Locations