Laos Travel Answers

change location

Best way to get around

by Travel_bug123 Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Hi guys, My girlfriend and I will be traveling through Laos for 10 in December and have a fair idea where we want to go but are a little unsure about the best way to do it. Ideally we want to go to: Vientiane for 2 nights Luang Prabang for 3-4 nights Plain of jars 1 nights Vang Vieng 2-3 nights I guess I'm just not sure which way to go weather to start in Luang Prabang and work my way back to veintiane or vice versa. When to fly or when to catch a bus. Given our time frame we don't want to spend heaps of time traveling from place to place but at the same time would like to see so county side. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: Best way to get around

by davidjo Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Assume you start at Vientiane, a great city with a small town atmosphere where probably two days will be enough. There are daily buses going early morning to VV where another two days should suffice--hire a motorbike and explore the surrounding area---limestone cliffs and caves. Take a bus up to LP, an amazing place with temples, river the old city and trip to Pak Ou cave. From there take a minibus to Phonsavan, Plane of Jars and go to one of the organisations that help clear the bombs and watch a documentary--they are all in close proximity. Visit the Plane of jars the next morning and head back to Vientiane if that is where you are flying out of. Another idea would be to fly in to LP and do the trip in reverse so it would save you some traveling time in the bus. You might want to check out my Laos pages as i was at these destinations some time ago.

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I would take the bus, or mini-van on route one way and fly back to Vientiane cheers tommy x

1 member found this helpful

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo

by leon.partsi Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM

That's the best advice I've seen, Davidjo.

Takes buses from city to city (like the locals do) then hire scooters for $15 a day to see around the town. I'd in Vientiane, go down to plain of Jars FIRST, then get the bus back up to VV and on to LP. Fly from LP back to Bangkok then on to wherever.

Enjoy! Cheers, Leon

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: Best way to get around

by Travel_bug123 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Thank you so much for the advice guys. It's extremely helpful

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Laos Travel Answer Locations