Languedoc-Roussillon Travel Answers

change location
GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

guidebooks

by GentleSpirit Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

can you recommend a good guidebook for languedoc-roussillon?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • alza's Profile Photo

Re: guidebooks

by alza Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Hi GentleSpirit,

I always like the Rough Guides and they have a Languedoc-Roussillon guide, with good reviews.
    If you speak French, you could look at Guide du Routard Languedoc-Roussillon. The Routards Guides are geared to budget travel for young travellers, and filled with fun facts and comments about places they write about. Always best deals for your money. It's geared to people who are young at mind actually, not strictly to young in terms of age. The Routard always focusses on things to do for people with a great sense of adventure, big or small. Mind you, perhaps the Routard publishes in English too, I don't know.

Personally, I like to look at and use the Michelin guide to any region before I go on a trip. The Michelin Guides have "everything" one might want to know about a country or region before setting off (architecture, history, culture, transports, etc.) It's a bit lacking, however, in day-to-day life and vibrant local scenes that travellers want to know about. So always good to combine different guidebooks... I'm talking here of the Michelin Green Guides. The red Michelin guides are good for hotels and restaurants but don't give you any idea of the place you're visiting.

I used to love the Guides Bleus (Hachette publication) but I don't see them anymore. They were in-depth and gave you a complete idea of the country to be visited.

All the best! Languedoc-Roussillon is really a place to discover and enjoy!

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Hi. We always take the Michelin Green Guide. I'm also a fan of Lonely Planet but haven't used the Languedoc-Roussillon one. With our Green Guide, we stop at the local tourist offices and get current material and events and specialized maps. They are great with helpful local information too. I highly recommend stopping there and even checking their web sites before you go. They send out maps, info and brochures for free that are very helpful.

Enjoy France.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM

I second the Michelin green guide for the region in the English version. I also recommend the Michelin maps for the region too (as they mirror the guides).
    Michelin is originally French so their guides and maps for France are excellent.
    Also, the green guides are well bound books, easy to handle (long, thin and flexible).

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 1:33 AM

The Michelin guides certainly are the best, but same as the Routard, they're not always up to date (as much as two years late). The only one that that is only around a year out is the "Petit Futé" and cheapest too, but this does suppose you read French. Otherwise the Michelin in English is the way to go.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Personally, I don't think it matters too much where the green Michelin guides are concerned.
    I've used my guides for tours of countryside and interesting villages and sights for many many years on end (I mean 20 or so).
    It's the red one with restaurant and hotel addresses that are outdated quickly.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

That's why we stop at the local Tourist Office . . . we are using antique Green Guides. The only time we have a new one is when the old one needs to be replaced. Obviously prices change. Sometimes hours change and rules (photography/no photography) change and new things appear to be seen. The Tourist Office knows all this. They are a great help and the people are invariably friendly.

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I do exactly the same.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Languedoc-Roussillon Travel Answer Locations