Languedoc-Roussillon Travel Answers

change location
GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Seasons

by GentleSpirit Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

what is the best time to go to see the autumn colors?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: Seasons

by jeanfinney Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Hmmmm - colors? Well, generally - it is impossible to predict this totally - the best autumn weather, in my experience, is September - Last year I was in the Sud Aveyron in September and it was gorgeous, and yes, the "colors" were arriving - It was somewhat hot in the Herault but still nice - In October it starts to get overcast and cooler - So I would recommend September as an autumn trip to that area...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Seasons

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 2:29 PM

We've never seen fall color in September in Languedoc although the weather is gorgeous for the most part. Altitude has something to do with it. The higher you go, the earlier the color so if you go in October, there should be colors in the mountains. It varies year to year but if I wanted to see color, I'd think about mid to late October. You can run into good and bad weather any time of year. We ran into snow in May one year.

In shoulder season prepare for anything. We saw quite a bit of fall color in Paris in November one year. I was surprised but enjoyed it. It also rained nearly every day but it was Paris so we didn't care.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

by GentleSpirit Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Is September already considered shoulder season for France?

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Early shoulder; kids are going back to school, vacations are over and we senior citizens start exploring in full force. Prices go down a little but they go down a lot more later. Some of the less touristy attractions will be closed. We tried to visit an Abbey mid-
    September once and it was already closed. You just find something else to do. There's so much it`s not a problem. All seasons are beautiful in France. ;^)

• Re: Seasons

by micolett Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 3:25 AM

Nothing fixed concerning the weather, asthe "colors" depend a lot of the summer conditions, if it has been dry or wet or windy. Some years there are gorgeous octobers (tree-wise), sometimes it's dull greenish, yellowish until the leaves turn to dust, others a freak wind has torn or taken everything down... I would still tend more to october than september, or even later!

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

by pfsmalo Online Now Mar 23, 2013 at 4:28 AM

The kids up to 17/18 yo are alredy back at school just after the 1st w/end in September. The south of France is too hot to get the real autumn colours, everything is burnt. You would need to come futher north or go into the middle mountain areas.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Languedoc-Roussillon Travel Answer Locations