Landstuhl Travel Answers

change location

Closest Airport

by maxcat101 Online Now Jul 30, 2008 at 11:06 PM

I just learned my brother is in the hospital. I want to fly over there to be with him. What is the closest city to fly into?? How long will it take me to get there from airport?? Thank you very much

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • leics's Profile Photo

Re: Closest Airport

by leics Online Now Jul 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM

I think Frankfurt will be easiest.

You can take a train from the airport to Landstuhl, with either one or two changes (depending on train time). Journey time around 2 hours, standard single fare 35 euros.

bahn.de/p/view/international...

will give you the train times/fares in English. Enter 'Frankfurt Flughafen' (flughafen = airport) and 'Landstuhl' to see the options. There are plenty of trains and the ticket office staff at Frankfurt airport speak good English.

Hope it works out ok.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • lifeisatrip's Profile Photo

by lifeisatrip Online Now Jul 30, 2008 at 11:42 PM

You will have to fly into Frankfurt Am Main, which is about an hour away.

You should contact the Fisher House, which houses family members of wounded military personnel. 011 49 6371-86-6679 M-F 0830 - 1730, Sat 0900-1500. Germany is 5 hours earlier than EST. From Germany dial 06371-86-6679.

If you are a military ID card holder, there is a shuttle bus from the airport that leaves for Landstuhl at 7:00 a.m. (Hospital information - 011 49 6371-86-8106/7184)

For train information: reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...

There are two smaller airports that are closer, but depending on where you're flying from, they may not have the flights going to these airports (Saarbrucken and Frankfort Hahn).

Airport transfer: airport-shuttle-ramstein.com...
    or finditnet.com/listing.php?li...

I hope this helps. You must be very worried, I share your concerns. I hope and pray your brother will be okay.

Good luck,
    Sylvia

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Jul 31, 2008 at 1:09 AM

Frankfurt will be the best airport for you. You've got excellent tips already, let me add there is a USO center in the airport, if you need any help, just go there.

Check this link for the location.
    uso.org/rheinmain/default.cf...

All the best to your brother, I hope he will be well again soon.

• doodybee's Profile Photo

by doodybee Online Now Jul 31, 2008 at 3:02 AM

can't advise on travel plans

if its military ( as suggested in an ealier post) maybe their families section can help better than us

hope your brother isn't too seriously ill

Best Wishes to ll
    Julie

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines