Land Sachsen-Anhalt Travel Answers

change location
JHR's Profile Photo

A journey round the Altmark

by JHR Online Now Feb 5, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Just a tentative enquiry. I am considering a bummel around somewhere off the beaten track. Is a short (5-day) tour around the Altmark a viable option? Having studied classics (Latin, Greek and Ancient History) at university many years ago, I would like to see the museum in Stendal - and its Trojan Horse. I enjoy museums, galleries, churches and anything 'cultural'. Where else should or could I visit? I have been improving my German at my local Goethe Institut (I'm now up the Intermediate Level Hauptkurs!) so am now quite confident handling things like local transport etc. Suggestions welcome...

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • chris.hh's Profile Photo

Re: A journey round the Altmark

by chris.hh Online Now Feb 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Hi James,
    I am not sure if this link helps you - it is the official Altmark tourism site. It is in German, but good training for you;-)
    www.altmarktourismus.de
    I am not sure it it is a good region for you for holiday. It surely is "off the beaten path";-) I have been in Standal many years ago, when I was a kid. It was not that impressive to me at that time. But that should not influence you. It surely is an area with small cities. I love bigger cities...
    Maybe you also could do some research on these regions, that also are a little bit of the beaten path but also little more common?
    The Mecklenburger Seenplatte is the biggest lake area in Europe, it's North of Berlin. In case you like water.
    mecklenburgische-seenplatte....
    If you prefer mountains the Elbsandsteingebirge was an option. It is South-East of Dresden which I consider as a more interesting city than Stendal. Maybe you can do a stop for your museum and go further?
    tourismusverein-elbsandstein...
    The Spreewald is supposed to be a beautiful forest area South of Berlin, close to Cottbus.
    tourismusverein-elbsandstein...
    I have not been in these areas personally but I have heard of them (more than of the Altmark region...)
    Anyway have a great stay, and many opportunities with German;-)
    I love Manchester - have been ther one year ago;-)
    Best Chris.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • JHR's Profile Photo

by JHR Online Now Feb 7, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Chris. Thank you for your reply. I was just thinking of flying into Berlin (again) and heading for somewhere different. I've been reading a history of Prussia called 'The Iron Kingdom' and thought of heading for one of the Marks of ancient Brandenburg. To be honest I'm happy anywhere in Germany - so long as there is decent beer, a pork-based cuisine, an interesting range of cultural attractions, and local people willing to speak to me despite my poor German. Anyway - thanks for all your suggestions. I was also thinking of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern - but have dreams of taking my wife there one day on an up-market boating holiday. You are from Hamburg and have visited Manchester...You didn't come to support Hamburg SV against Manchester City last year in the EUFA Cup, did you? (I was at the game). Best wishes to you. And I really should visit Hamburg one day. (I once flew to Bremen and got as far as Bremerhaven and Cuxhaven...)

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

by RhineRoll Online Now Feb 8, 2010 at 2:58 AM

Excellent Idea to discover this area. Be sure to visit Tangermuende and Jerichow (important monastery).

tangermuende.de/eng/index.ht...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Land Sachsen-Anhalt Travel Answer Locations