Lancaster Travel Answers

change location

Transportation to Lancaster from DC

by nicolebcw Online Now Aug 7, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Are there any inexpensive buses or trains from DC to Lancaster? The Amtrak is very expensive so am searching for alternative carriers. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

Re: Transportation to Lancaster from DC

by Donna_in_India Online Now Aug 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Hi - I don't know how much Amtrak is but check out the bus at www.greyhound.com.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Aug 8, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Amtrak tickets increase in price based on how close the train is to being sold out. To get better pricing you need to buy in advance, with the time required beforehand depending on the popularity of that travel day.

• glabah's Profile Photo

by glabah Online Now Aug 10, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I checked the schedules and timetables. Amtrak standard ticket price is50 one way, and Greyhound is46 and takes an hour longer. If you decide to buy the Amtrak ticket just before you board the price is in the117 range, so it does pay to plan ahead.

• ChinnoDog's Profile Photo

by ChinnoDog Online Now Jun 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about this web site or forum but I found your question and I have an answer.

The cheapest way I know of to get to Lancaster from here is to take Megabus to Philly and then take a train to Lancaster. The train is ~$15 each way and Megabus varies. It could be9, it could be20. It is possible to do a round trip for50-$60.

I only know about this because I am from Lancaster. The Lancaster questions in the forum are funny to me because I don't know the answer to most of them. I didn't even know Sight and Sound existed until it burned down my senior year in high school. (They rebuilt it though.)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines