Lancaster Travel Answers

change location

Help, hubby just told me he wants to go to Lancaster and surrondings

by ConnieVa Online Now Jul 7, 2007 at 6:53 AM

Usually when we travel I have plenty of time to research the area. Hubby mentioned last night he would love to go to Amish country. Now I know a lot of the area is "pretend" Amish. Being from Virginia I am not "green" about respect etc.

What I really want to know is this: Looking for a motel where we can take our Maltese. He will be crated while we are out and about sightseeing. We don't need a fancy motel but don't want to stay in a dump either. It would be nice to find a place where you almost have a little cabin (for lack of a better term) but it would be fine if it were just a motel that allows pets.

Also, want to get out and see the farmland and how the Amish live. I am used to Menonite people but hard to explain to a Texan (hubby) the difference.

We are not into shopping but do like to see points of intrest.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Travmad's Profile Photo

Re: Help, hubby just told me he wants to go to Lancaster and surrondings

by Travmad Online Now Jul 7, 2007 at 7:04 AM

I would suggest that you can expand your hotel search to the Harrisburg are as well. My wife and I have found that accommodation in the Lancaster area is pricey for not much and may not be pet friendly. Harrisburg and surrounding areas isn't that far away to dive into Lancaster. Have a great trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Help, hubby just told me he wants to go to Lancaster and surrondings

by cherylrf Online Now Jul 9, 2007 at 8:46 AM

I'm just checking out the places listed in our Yellow Pages that say pet friendly and here is what I found: Hawthorn Inn 800-794-0735. This is pretty close to everything and just off the highway. You might also check out the PA Dutch Visitors Bureau website www.800padutch.com. Also, there is a small motel called Spruce Lane Lodge & Cottages. No 800 number but the direct line is 717-393-1991. This sits right next to the Smoketown airport (tiny tiny airport but cute!) It is also along Route 340 which is the "real" Lancaster County type road. You WILL get stuck behind Amish buggies and see lots of Amish and Mennonite using this road. It leads into Bird-In-Hand and Intercourse and lots of other little towns. I think your best bet would be checking out the PA Dutch website. I hope this helps. When are you visiting? Cheryl

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

Re: Help, hubby just told me he wants to go to Lancaster and surrondings

by angiebabe Online Now Aug 10, 2007 at 8:19 AM

Maybe its too late and youve already done your trip but otherwise see my accommodation tip for Lancaster - ihad a great time driving widely around the area and enjoyed staying where i did - most of my travels in the usa were from my Lets Go guidebook when i would normally use the lonely planet or rough guide but for the states this guidebook was excellent - very thorough and dependable for interesting sights and history info and also for the recommended choice range of accommodation.
    so id recommend having such a guidebook on hand for any further trips with minimal notice!
    bye for now.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines