Lancaster Travel Answers

change location
Mr_Furious's Profile Photo

PA Dutch country: bike rental

by Mr_Furious Online Now Jul 28, 2004 at 1:39 PM

Hi, I'm leaving for the US in 10 days (mostly around NYC) and since it would be a shame to miss the us countryside I thought maybe the area around Lancaster (PA) would be nice to see the countryside, some of those wooden covered bridges and perhaps some Amish (although I'm not expecting too much of that). My LP book and various websites on the area say that it's a really nice area to go cycling and the pictures I saw on the net only seem to confirm this, but the problem is that I couldn't find any adress (LP or net) in Lancaster or the area around Lancaster where I can rent a bicycle for a couple of days. Who can help me finding a place like that? It would be a shame being stuck on buses and so on because it looks soo great for cycling. Thank you, Bert Dosfel ps: prices on campgrounds seem rather high to me, around 20 US. Is it cheaper for a lonely traveller in a small, sad-looking tent?

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: PA Dutch country: bike rental

by travelmad478 Online Now Jul 28, 2004 at 5:00 PM

These guys are in Lancaster and say they rent bikes: bikeline.com/locations/store... You can also call any of the shops in Lancaster or Ephrata (which is also in Lancaster County, area code 717) in the list on the page users.adelphia.net/~lshean/b... I'm not sure how many covered bridges are in the area but you will have no trouble at all spotting the Amish. They are a very significant part of the population of the whole area. I was just up there two weeks ago (Lancaster is around 45 minutes from where I live) and had a fantastic time at an Amish charity auction. It's a really different world, very interesting. Being on a bike will be a lot of fun--get a detailed map and go on all the back roads. The countryside is very pretty. I think20 for a tent camping space is probably around average. State parks will be cheaper: dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ringleader's Profile Photo

Re: PA Dutch country: bike rental

by ringleader Online Now Jul 29, 2004 at 5:38 AM

Hi Bert, I'm wondering if you mean MOTORCYCLING or bicycling? After looking at your home page, I think motorcycles. You wouldn't want to miss the Harley Davidson factory/museum in Pennsylvania if you have time in Pennsylvania. If you look under my Pennsylvania travel pages, you will find all of the information on that. It is about a 3 hour drive from New York City to Lancaster, PA. A favorite place for people to visit in Lancaster is a broadway-type of presenation. Look at the Sight and Sound theater's website at www.bibleonstage.com. There are personalized tours available of the Amish country. There is also a special map of a covered bridge tour - we picked it up at a travel information place there and enjoyed the tour around the area. And, for some good Pennsylvania Dutch cooking, most tourists stop at the Shady Maple Restaurant. www.shady-maple.com. It is an all-you-can-eat buffet. Great for a hungry man.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines