Lampeter Travel Answers

change location

Directions

by carolinakh Online Now Jul 16, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Any suggestions on how to get from Cardiff (airport) to Lampeter? Don't fancy an interminable buss ride o renting a car in unfamiliar territory.....

Thanx for any help ......

Cheers,
K

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Re: Directions

by aaaarrgh Online Now Jul 16, 2008 at 4:33 PM

It is not an easy route to Lampeter, which is in the middle of West Wales. According to http://www.traveline-cymru.org.uk/ your most direct option by public transport would be to catch a train to Carmarthen and then take a bus from Carmarthen Railway Station to Lampeter. You are looking at more than 4 hours travelling. The plus side is that the train ride to Carmarthen is one of the prettiest in the UK, along the side of the Towy estuary past Llanstephan Castle.

Depending on how long you plan to stay in Lampeter and where you plan to go next, a car may be an option to consider. Though if you are coming from the States and not used to driving on the left/using a gear stick/paying11 a gallon for petrol, I can understand your reluctance!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Directions

by carolinakh Online Now Jul 17, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Thanx for your assistance. Seems the least painful way to get to Lampeter is a train into Carmarthen and then taxis to and from Lampeter. It would be slightly less than renting a car and the bus ride was NEVER an option.

Short stint in Lampeter and then on to Birmingham or thereabouts, so time is of the essence here in order for me to enjoy as much of the country as possible.

I got several taxi quotes, but if you can recommend someone who may be more reliable than most, it would be greatly appreciated.

Have a Lovely Day.....
    K

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo

Re: Directions

by aaaarrgh Online Now Jul 18, 2008 at 5:37 AM

Unfortunately I lived in Carmarthen 25 years ago so am a bit out of touch about taxi firms :o)

Bear in mind that, if you are heading to Birmingham, then it may be a good idea to catch a train from Llandovery (or one of the stations on the Heart of Wales line) to Shrewsbury and onwards. That will be far more direct than heading back via Carmarthen and Cardiff. Again, the Heart of Wales line is one of the most picturesque rail routes in the British Isles. The disadvantage is the trains are only every 2-3 hours, so you will have to be careful you don't miss your train!! Enjoy your stay!

• Re: Directions

by carolinakh Online Now Jul 28, 2008 at 9:28 AM

Thanx for the suggestion (and the information). I think I'll see more of the UK this year than the past few years combined.

I was lucky enuf to finally be at StoneHenge for the summer solstice (don't ask me why, but that has always been in my list of "Top Ten" things to do ..... it was really wild ..... surreal ...... wonderful.... Anyway, it's one of those priceless memories.

And, now, this propsed trip to Wales ........ I'd like to get in one more trip before the cold weather, but not sure where .......

Where do you hail from currently (you mentioned Carmarthen previously ...)?

Cheers,
    Kathy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines