Lakes Entrance Travel Answers

change location

Camping in 90 Mile Beach?

by Wolverine_13 Online Now Dec 17, 2009 at 1:00 AM

So i was thinking of camping in or around 90 mile beach for New Years, and i was wondering what people know about the free camp sites between Golden Beach and Seaspray? If we head down around the 30th are we gonna be able to find a spot? Is it good camping? Can anyone recommend anywhere else?

cheers!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • johnfromoz's Profile Photo

Re: Camping in 90 Mile Beach?

by johnfromoz Online Now Dec 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Have a look at this website. parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_dis... it has some details. I know it gets quite busy at that time of year & would maybe consider trying to book somewhere

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • chinamonty's Profile Photo

by chinamonty Online Now Dec 25, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Golden Beach particularly is the mosquito capital of the world. If you have a van with screens then Ok. Seaspray is better. Personally I go further to lakes Entrance or perhaps Metung or one of the other caravan parks on the inland side of the lakes.

• Grevil's Profile Photo

by Grevil Online Now Dec 27, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Not sure what you think ig 'good' re camping - if you like quiet and good shade, then the sites between Golden Beach and Seaspray will be okay for that. It shouldn't be hard to find a place to camp.
    Mosquitoes are likely to be a problem - take lots of insect repellent.
    There won't be much in the way of facilities at those sites - it will be "bring your own" for everything, I believe - including maybe water - and a good spade to bury ...
    Be aware that you may not be allowed to build camp fires - listen to weather reports and check if weather is hot, that the day hasn't been declared a "total fire ban" day.
    I have been along the road from GB to S'spry several times, and although I haven't stopped at any of the campsites, I don't remember seeing any buildings that look like facilities blocks. There are several small camping areas dotted along that road.
    Normally, if its free to camp - then there are no facilities.
    If you want proper showers and toilets, you could try in the camp ground in Seaspray town - its right behind the sand dunes along the beach. Golden Beach and Loch Sport also have reasonable camping grounds with facilities - but you will have to pay to camp at any of those.
    The pub at Loch Sport usually have live bands on New Years Eve - and there's usually fireworks etc.
    Lakes Entrance is much more "up market" and much bigger town, more options, more touristy, etc. if that's your thing.

• Re: Camping in 90 Mile Beach?

by Wolverine_13 Online Now Jan 6, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Ended up going to the campsite just outside Loch Sport, 90 Mile Beach Retreat - that was pretty good. The Mozzies were a little annoying, but not too bad (nothing compared to what I'm use to in Canada!), but the massive flies (we call em horseflies back home) on the beach were annoying, and bit pretty hard. luckily at night it was bug free, and we enjoyed one of the few dry new years eve parties in Victoria, but watching a lightning storm over the ocean.

thanks for the help! Such an awesome spot of Victoria, I almost forgot they had beaches here, after living in Melbourne for so long, lol.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines