Lake Taupo Travel Answers

change location

Rotorua to Lake Taupo Maori scenic rock cruise

by lkstacey Online Now Apr 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Hi, I am going to Auckland on 24 Apr and intend to drive from Rotorua to Lake Taupo to do a 2pm Maori scenic rock cruise. I would like to find out whether should we visit the (1) Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland, or (2)Te Puia thermal village cum culture show for the 10.15am, then drive straight to Lake Taupo. We are not sure how long it will take to do (1) or (2) as we have never been to Auckland and would like to experience thermal village and if possible culture show, then take a cruise. Please advise what to do in Taupo for a family with two kids age 5 and 9. Thank you.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Re: Rotorua to Lake Taupo Maori scenic rock cruise

by Borisborough Online Now Apr 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

The cultural shows are a bit touristy! Of all the thermal parks in Rotorua, my favourite is Wai-O-Tapu. The geyser goes off at around 10:15am every morning and the whole site takes about 90 minutes to 2 hours to get around (with photo stops) - it might be longer with two young children. Having said that, the children might prefer a cultural show with a Maori song and a Haka. While in Auckland, a quick trip up Mt Eden is good to get an overall view of the city. The children will probably like Kelly Tarlton's (although the aquarium in Sydney is better) and the rugged beaches of Piha and Bethell's on the west coast are certainly worth going a visit.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • stevemt's Profile Photo

Re: Rotorua to Lake Taupo Maori scenic rock cruise

by stevemt Online Now Apr 21, 2012 at 9:33 PM

For a thermal area, I would also consider "Hells Gate" For me it's great. Have a look here

http://www.hellsgate.co.nz/

Also agree the cultural shows can be more than a little touristy.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Apr 21, 2012 at 10:43 PM

You can have a cultural Maori show at Auckland Museum, it is cheaper and less touristy. In general I do not find everything touristy bad, some Maori shows are really good despite being touristy.

For me the most fabulous place of geothermal wonders is Wai-o-tapu. It is on the way to Taupo. It opens at 8.30am, and as already mentioned, Lady Knox geyser goes off just after 10am. This leaves you plenty of time to be in Taupo for your Maori rock cruise.

In Taupo there is not a lot more to do with small kids than this cruise as it will be too cold for swimming in the lake. You could drive back out of Taupo and visit the Huka Falls, or another geothermal wonderland named Orakei Korako. or drive back to Rotorua (if you do not plan to carry on down south towards Wellington or so). There is so much to see and do with children. They would LOVE the (touristy) sheep show at the Agrodome, getting up Mt. Ngongotaha by gondola and Rainbow Springs, a wildlife park where you can see a lot of native animals/birds including the kiwi.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Dec 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM

What a strange site...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines