Lake Tahoe State Park Travel Answers

change location

Lake Tahoe/Reno;))

by globaltraveller62 Online Now Mar 26, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Good day to the locals of aforementioned area,
i will visit the area during the second week of April 2012,and arriving there at the lake,what are the best places to visit at the lake?
Unfortunately,i had to confine ourselves to an afternoon,before indulding into Reno in the evening...
I saw pix from the Emerald Bay,awesome place;))We do a lot of photographing,are there spots not to missed for some decent shots;))
Thanx,and carpe diem,
GT62;))

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • Re: Lake Tahoe/Reno;))

by erikko Online Now Mar 26, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Hope you enjoyed your stay at Lake Tahoe. We've been there thrice for family gatherings and we simply love the place.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

Re: Lake Tahoe/Reno;))

by DSwede Online Now Mar 27, 2012 at 5:05 AM

I grew up on Tahoe. Not to boast my own pages, but feel free to read some for ideas.

Given that you only have an afternoon, I'm sorry to tell you but Emerald Bay will be too far. You would spend the entire day in the car only looking out of the window.

Where will you be starting? If you are starting and ending near Reno, I would suggest you make a circle for example:

Reno - south on 395, then up over Mt Rose Hwy (NV431) to Incline Village.
    Then round the north part of the lake counterclockwise.
    Go through Stateline and the RatPack hangout of CalNeva
    Go through Kings Beach, Carnelian Bay, etc. to Tahoe City.
    Then from Tahoe City, diverge from the lake and go to Truckee.
    From Truckee, get on I-80 and return to Reno.

Each place listed above and more are worth a stop. Unfortunately if you only have an afternoon, you really will see the sites only from the main roads and the windows of the car.

• yvr's Profile Photo

by yvr Online Now Mar 27, 2012 at 6:52 AM

You can get some awesome pictures of Emerald Bay if you travel along highway 89 which is the highway that travels around the southern part of the lake the closet entrance is by way of highway 50 near South Lake Tahoe. HIghway 50 which runs on the east side of the lake and north to south South Lake Tahoe. You can google this with google maps and get a good idea of where you need to go.

by globaltraveller62 Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Thanx for the advice,

carpe diem,

Martin

by globaltraveller62 Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Good morning,

thanx for the valuable advice,i guessed the time will definitely not allow us to indulge in the offerings of the scenic environment;))
    Anyway,thanx for the ideas,i am going to pick out the best you offered!!
    Take care,and carpe diem,
    Martin:)

by globaltraveller62 Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Hehe,we still need to go there;))
    Take care,
    Martin

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Mar 28, 2012 at 5:49 AM

Martin, I highly recommend it. Even if you only take some of the scenic highways, there are some stunning views. But I could help give the best route if I knew where/when you were starting.

by globaltraveller62 Online Now Mar 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Hey again,i am still working on the schedule...as soon i have it,i let you know;)
    What i know is,that i will drive on 80 from S.F.,and we might get to the northern part of the lake by noon....
    At what time is sunset,roughly there?
    I heard recently from a friend,that the last season was low(or lower than previous ones) in snow..is that true?
    Best regards,and thanks,
    Martin;)

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now Mar 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM

If you are going to arrive to someplace on I-80 (like Truckee) at noon, you do not have much time to visit the lake.

I would take a short time to see Truckee, then go to Tahoe City and again take a short time to visit Tahoe City. You could eat lunch in either one depending on your timing and hunger.

From Tahoe City, drive clockwise around the north end of the lake until Incline Village. From there, take NV-431 (Mount Rose Highway) and go up to Reno from the south.

There are lots of scenic places to stop and take some pictures, there are some public beaches and boat launches where you can park and go to the water. The sun sets about ~7:30pm this time of year. But in reality due to the shadows of the mountains, it gets dark very quickly and even by 7:30 may be dark in the lower valley areas.

This year has been very lean in regards to snow fall. There is snow, but it is a far cry from what we mountain dwellers crave.

by globaltraveller62 Online Now Apr 1, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Good morning,

thanx for being a valuable source of explicit information concerning our trip!!
    We do appreciate your help a lot!!
    Enjoy Sunday;))
    Tchüss aus Bavaria(where we had the snow you were missing there;))-)
    Martin:))

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines