Lake Tahoe State Park Travel Answers

change location
Oscar_Nonis's Profile Photo

Visiting Lake Tahoe

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Dec 18, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Hello VTers,

I'm visiting Lake Tahoe for the first time on 23st December.

This is specially for fun and take photographs. Any tips are appreciated.

Hope to meet some VTers if possible

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Visiting Lake Tahoe

by goodfish Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 3:42 AM

Right, Oscar, you appear to be coming from the Page area of Arizona - have you checked the driving distance from Antelope Canyon to Tahoe? It's a long, long drive in the BEST of the weather. And you're leaving from Tahoe to San Francisco the next morning (24th). That one is doable but honestly, you won't have any daylight for taking photos at Tahoe at all unless it's a short time in the morning - and then you'll be cutting your daylight hours in SF.

I might suggest revisiting your itinerary and re-checking your driving distances as I'm really concerned that it's simply not doable for a photo tour.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Let me add another comment here as well. Have you accounted for the possibility of snow? If so going from Lake Tahoe one day to San Francisco the next may not be possible. I did a Sacramento to Lake Tahoe to San Francisco trip one day in the middle of March and it was very snowy coming back that we almost didn't make it over Donner Pass.

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo

by TooTallFinn24 Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 10:29 AM

You won't have to worry about snow on December 23rd but you may encounter ice on the roads.

Much of the great views of Lake Tahoe unfortunately have been filled in by urban development so driving around the total length of the lake will not be that scenic.

Two areas for sure that I would see however are;

1) Truckee River Outlet Gatekeepers Museum- Where the Truckee River meets Lake Tahoe in Tahoe City. Great views of Lake Tahoe and some nice walking paths that talk about the history of the lake.

2) Emerald Bay State Park- 22 miles south of Tahoe City. The views from the park and the walk down to Vikingsholm are spectacular. I checked the state park web site and it appears to be open.

3) Mt Rose Highway before Incline Village- On this road you can get some of the most spectacular views of the lake. The last two turns off before you reach Incline Village have some great views of the lake.

• Oscar_Nonis's Profile Photo

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Thanks. I may adjust the dates and days.

I will come from Zions National Park via Area 51

by goodfish Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Oscar, when were you planning on putting Zion in your itinerary? Your itinerary (last you posted) reads as such:

Grand Canyon - 21st
    Page (Antelope canyon) - 22nd
    Tahoe - 23rd
    San Francisco - 24th
    LA - 25th

The drive from Page to Tahoe will be something like 13-15 hours or more and that's without any snow/ice complications. You can't do Zion between Page and Tahoe on this timetable.

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 3:40 PM

He lives in Las Vegas, so he's probably starting there.

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 3:55 PM

21 Day Grand Canyon + Antelope
    21 Night - Page
    22 Day - Bryce Canyon + Zions
    22 Night - St. George
    23 Travel via Area 51
    23 Night - Reno
    24 Day - Lake Tahoe
    24 Night - San Francisco
    25 Day - LA
    25 Night - LA
    26 Day - San Diego + Palm Spring
    27 Night - Las Vegas

Travel by a car

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Yes, I live in Las Vegas for about 7 years. Originally from Sri Lanka

by goodfish Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM

OK, some pieces of this were missing or have been changed since your first posts - thanks Oscar!

by goodfish Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Oscar, I think you should make one new post with the new itinerary you gave us here and ask for feedback on it. I have some concerns that this is doable in the time that you have but would like some input from our other members - especially those in the California area.

Right off, I'd say that Vegas to the Grand Canyon to Page in one day is much too much - especially in winter, and with daylight so short. I don't see you getting Antelope in on the same day you're trying to do the Canyon.

Page to Bryce to Zion to St George bothers me too: That is a long day and, again, daylight will be short.

Area 51: can you even see anything there? I thought that was restricted? St. George to Reno is 534 miles and about 9 and 1/2 hour drive as it is.

And San Francisco to LA can range anywhere from 6.5 hours to 10 hours depending on which way you go and amount of traffic. It will, of course, be longer if you want to make stops but I'm not as familiar with that as some of our members who live there so best to ask.

And again - I'm concerned about you just winging some of these places without accommodations lined up as the holidays can be a very busy time for hotels.

So, post the itinerary and ask for feedback so that you get lots of info to consider? :)

by Oscar_Nonis Online Now Dec 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Thanks for your concerns and feedback. As I told, this may change. I'm taking one of my friend who is visiting and trying to visit more places as possible. We may spend extra hours than we have planned.

We may skip some spots. Area 51 is a challenge. I'm sure there is nothing to see other than signs. We wanna show we went there. Thats it. I know its restricted area.

I may spend extra day or more hours in SF

I was thinking about weather and road conditions too.

Thanks again everyone

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines