Lake Tahoe State Park Travel Answers

change location
jamborees's Profile Photo

Lake Tahoe vistas

by jamborees Online Now May 12, 2006 at 7:27 AM

We are planning to do a one day trip (drive from SFO and get back) to Lake Tahoe this week end (May middle!). I have never been there. I am interested in great vistas - of the lake and the mountain. I would highly appreciate if someone can suggest a probable route / destination points.

Thanks.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • DSwede's Profile Photo

RE: Lake Tahoe vistas

by DSwede Online Now May 12, 2006 at 11:38 AM

In general, going up I-80 from SFO to Tahoe is about 4.5 hours one-way (depending on traffic/weather). I'm not sure what specifically you want to see or how long of the day you are willing to take.

The most direct route to the lake would be to take I-80 to Truckee, then exit. From here, you have two choices...

a) head down to the south by taking HW-89 south. This will take you past Squaw Valley and into Tahoe City. From here you can continue south to the wonderful and beautiful Emerald Bay on the south west corner.

b) head to the north shore by taking HW-267 south. This will take you past Northstar ski area into Kings Beach. From Kings beach, head west on HW-28 across the Nevada boarder and into Incline Village (my home). The Mt. Rose Highway (HW-431) has some wonderful views of the lake.

If all you want to do is drive up from SFO, see the lake, then drive back down in one day... this is about all you will have time to do, taking stops for lunch, etc.

If you get to Truckee early in the day, I suggest you go south (option a). Continue through Emerald Bay (stop at the castle and maybe take a short hike). Then continue to South Lake Tahoe, eat something. Then continue on US-50 west back through the mountains to Placerville. US-50 will intersect I-80 again in Sacramento and you can take that back to SFO.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jamborees's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Lake Tahoe vistas

by jamborees Online Now May 12, 2006 at 1:20 PM

Great info. Many thanks. Will do exactly what you suggested. Will post how I liked it.

RE: RE: RE: Lake Tahoe vistas

by jamborees Online Now May 12, 2006 at 3:34 PM

Great info. Many thanks. Will do exactly what you suggested. Will post how I liked it.

RE: RE: RE: Lake Tahoe vistas

by jamborees Online Now May 15, 2006 at 1:44 PM

by jamborees Online Now May 15, 2006 at 2:03 PM

We changed plans - Started from San Jose, took 50 and hit lake tahoe from South. There was a good photo opportunity of the lake below the snowy peak. The drive through the mountains were beautiful.

We hit the lake at stateline. Spend some time in the marina at Ski Run and drove back.

A good first peek.

• DSwede's Profile Photo

by DSwede Online Now May 15, 2006 at 2:44 PM

I know the road very well. You did just that, got a good peek! If you're back in the neighborhood you need to spend some more time, you just scratched the surface.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines