Lake Tahoe State Park Travel Answers

change location
MStars's Profile Photo

Ski Resorts

by MStars Online Now Jan 26, 2005 at 10:04 PM

A group of us is going to Tahoe for President's Day Weekend. Most of us are beginners, intermediate, or newbies to snowboarding. We've been researching on all the ski resorts. . . . We're staying at a place 3 minutes away from Heavenly. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best ski resort to go to, in terms of price, and crowds? Or will all the resorts be crowded due to the holiday? I was thinking of Sierra, but have been told it's super crowded on holidays, and to go to Alpine instead. Does anybody have any suggestions on the best ski resort to go to, in terms of price, and crowds? Also, does anyone know how long it will take to drive up to Tahoe from CA Bay Area on friday night? Thanks for any input.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Dumpymotel's Profile Photo

Re: Ski Resorts

by Dumpymotel Online Now Jan 26, 2005 at 10:48 PM

If you're staying next to Heavenly then go to Heavenly. When traffic is lite you can make it from the Bay Area to Tahoe in about 4-5 hours but on holidays it will be several hours more. I'm sorry to say that it is such a popular escape from the Bay Area that everyone else wants to be there as well. You can have a solid line of traffic all the way from Tahoe to the bay bridge on special days. I just want to warn you so you aren't shocked. Bring some extra CDs to listen to or play license plate bingo and you will get there in no time! Blane

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Jan 27, 2005 at 12:41 PM

I agree with the other post on traffic. I will be there the same weekend, but in North Tahoe, Incline Village. Both Sugar Bowl and North Star have great snowboarding runs and I was up there last weekend and the snow is perfect. Trust the pogonip is out of the area during the Presidents Weekend. If you are in South Tahoe, you should stay there. It is long drive up to the North Shore area. Safe travels.

• RBCal's Profile Photo

by RBCal Online Now Jan 27, 2005 at 1:17 PM

The lift lines on the Nevada side of Heavenly will be much shorter. I also think it is better to ski in the morning, since the sun rises on that side of the mountain so it is slightly warmer and less icy. You used to be able to get discount lift tickets at Albertsons in the bay area, but you had to enter on the Nevada side. I don't know if these are still available.

• MStars's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Ski Resorts

by MStars Online Now Jan 27, 2005 at 10:16 PM

Thanks for the input. I looked into Heavenly, and they do still offer the discounted tickets at Bay Area Albertson's. But it doesn't mention anything about having to enter on the Nevada side. . .. . and why is it only valid on the Nevada side, if you can only buy it from the bay area??? I don't think I understand that, can anybody clarify?

• RBCal's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Ski Resorts

by RBCal Online Now Jan 28, 2005 at 8:09 AM

Note even if you enter on the Nevada side you can still ski on the California side. You just go up to the top and over.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines