Travel Answers
Lake Rotomahana

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Should I bring all my backpacking gear to New Zealand or just do day hikes?

Christchurch Jan 11, 2016 at 11:13 AM

Hello. My wife and I are traveling to New Zealand for our honeymoon. We are going to land in Christchurch and do a giant loop around the South Island. We are renting a car. We are really adventurous and love backpacking, hiking, and trail running. I am trying to decide if we should bring our backpacking gear (tent, sleeping bags, etc). We usually only do primitive camping (no picnic tables, showers, car access, etc). Are there a lot of places to camp primitively in New Zealand or is it mostly in campsites? Thank you!

more
    • boyfromoz's Profile Photo

Only one day in Wellington

Wellington Jan 17, 2016 at 1:18 AM

My wife and I will be arriving in 3 weeks by cruise ship (8am -6pm). The hop on hop off bus tickets are sold out. What is the best way for us to get around and see the major sights eg TePapa Museum, the waterfront, cable car, Mt Victoria lookout, Cuba St. Any suggestions with the best order and how to get to these places by public transport will be much appreciated.

more
    • Family Fun in April

New Zealand Jan 11, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Hi All. I travelled NZ in 1991, both North and South Island for about 5 weeks - amazing, brilliant, and it was always my dream to return. Now it might be a possibility 25 years later with the family (kids - aged 16,14, 11). Unfortunately though we don't have 5 weeks :-( ...... only about 12 days, and it would be impossible to do justice to both islands in such a short time. Originally I thought South, but since it would be the last 2 weeks in April and we aren't a skiing family, my thoughts are now the North Island - or is it still possible to drive around the South in late April and have a great time doing some of the adventure activities then. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks.

more
    • Chrisby_54's Profile Photo

Traveling to Northern New Zealand for 12 days

New Zealand Jan 12, 2016 at 7:58 AM

Me and my friend will be going to NZ from Feb 24-March 8, 2016 but im a bit anxious about certain things since its our first time to go there. Our itinerary starts from Auckland-Matamata-Rotorua-Lake Taupo-Welling-Waitomo Caves-Auckland. My questions are:
      1. Since we are on a budget, we preferred using the Naked bus transpo. Is it a good choice? Do you recommend that we book it online while we are still here in the Philippines (by the way, im Filipino). Or book the bus when we arrive there in NZ? Can the hostels (like base auckland backpacker) help us book our transpo going to matamata for the nakedbus trip?
      2. Is there a lot of wifi spots on my itinerary? Is the wifi fast? I would like to know this for our other online booking activities when we are there, like the sky diving and bungy jumping on lake taupo, and others.
      3. Where do u recommend us to exchange our money from usd to nzd? I know its not advisable in the airport.
      4. Do the blue bus booking from the airport going to the auckland city accept credit card or cash basis only? Im asking this, because by the time we are in the auckland airport, we might not have nzd yet.
      5. What cheap restaurants or eatery can u recommend on my given itinerary?
      6. I have an amoebiasis, is the tap water in nz good for drinking or is it better to buy bottled water instead?
      7. Are there 24 hrs transportation in northern nz? If in case we are lost, or might not get into the bus on our schedule, is it easy to find another bus or transpo?
      Most of my questions are regarding the transportation because thats what i am anxious about. Please help me answer all of my queries. That will be so appreciated. Will be waiting for your response. Thank you!

more
    • Travel in Newzealand

New Zealand Jan 31, 2016 at 9:00 AM

Hello !! , We are 2 young guys from france and for the holidays we will go to Newzealand (11 of July to 9 of A ugust) it will be our first to visit there.

We would like to know if anyone group, or foreigners have for ambition to travel across the country like us ?
      It could be great and funnier to travel with other people so let us know if you're interested !!!

more
    • What's the most economical way to travel to Queenstown for a week from Sydney?

New Zealand Feb 3, 2016 at 1:15 AM

We are planning a trip to Australia in April. We are definitely NOT looking at the Easter time since I understand the prices could be high. Also, we have found some good cheap places on AirBNB so location should not be a problem as well. We plan to drive around on a self-drive (around $25/day).

The only thing that's hitting our budget is the airfare. I hear from many people that there are pretty cheap deals under $100 from Sydney to Queenstown but have been hardpressed to actually find one. Can anyone tell me if this is indeed true?

more
    • Yust.luo's Profile Photo

Joint adventure on January 22 in Newzealand

Auckland Jan 12, 2016 at 1:17 PM

Hello.... We are 3 Asian girl from Sydney will go to Newzealand on 22 January ~ 31 January it will be our first to visit there so would like to ask if anyone / group that we can joint the itinerary or having adventure together?

more
    • 12 days car trip to South Island

New Zealand Feb 1, 2016 at 9:17 PM

Hi all,
      We are planning a 12 days car trip to the South Island of New Zealand in November.
      We are not into any of the adventurous activities, just like to do some easy and short hikes and spend time taking photos. Would really appreciate feedback on our tentative itinerary.
      We are from Canada going to Australia for a reunion and want to visit NZ as well.

Day 1 – Fly from Sydney to Christchurch
      Pick up rental car. Relax around town or visit Akaroa
      Day 2 – Christchurch – Tekapo –Lake Pukaki – Mt Cook national park
      Stop at Lake Pukaki to view Mt Cook reflection on the lake; walk the Hooker Valley Track
      Day 3 – Mt Cook – Oamaru
      Kea Point Walk in Mt Cook in the morning. See Clay Cliff at Omarama, Elephant Rocks in Duntroon, and penguins in Oamaru.
      Day 4 – Oamaru - Dunedin
      Visit Moeraki Boulders.
      Day 5 – Dunedin – Te Anau
      Day 6 – Te Anau – Milford Sound – Te Anau
      Viewpoints along Milford road, take scenic cruise
      Day 7 – Te Anau – Queenstown
      Queenstown hill, Lake Hayes
      Day 8 – Queenstown – Haast
      Lake Wanaka, Blue Pools walk, Fantail Falls, Thunder Creek falls.
      Day 9 – Haast – Fox Glacier – Franz Josef Glacier
      Lake Matheson, Lake Mapourika, Okarito Lagoon
      Day 10 – Franz Josef Glacier – Greymouth
      Visit Punakaili Pancake rocks and blowholes
      Day 11 – Greymouth – Christchurch
      Via Arthur’s Pass, visit Akaroa
      Day 12 – Fly out Christchurch

Many thanks in advance

more
    • 1 day in Auckland -

Auckland Yesterday

We are a family of 4 with two teenage boys. We are travelling from North America to Sydney in July 2016. We arrive at 9am and depart the following morning around the same time. This is our first time in Auckland. Any suggestions on Auckland sites and hotels will be helpful..

more
    • Targuut's Profile Photo

Police certificate

New Zealand Jan 20, 2016 at 8:39 AM

Dears,
      Do I really need to Police Certificate and X-Ray even if I would visit to New Zeland for only 7-10 days?

more